- “A Christmas Prayer Answered” (December 2012 Liahona and Friend)
Peggy’s family has no food for Christmas dinner, but her family’s prayers are answered when generous neighbors bring them a feast.
- “A Hug for Jennifer” (August 2010 Liahona and Friend)
A girl prays for peace after fighting with her brother and sister.
- “A Prayer For Lou Jean” (October 2005 Liahona and Friend)
A story from the life of President David O. McKay about when his daughter was sick and Church members prayed for her.
- “A Prayer to Heavenly Father” (February 2012 Liahona and Friend)
A story for young children about a boy who learns that we speak to Heavenly Father when we pray.
- “A Prayer for Safety” (February 2012 Liahona and Friend)
A girl prays for help when she swims too far from shore.
- “Answered Prayers” (July 2005 Liahona and Friend)
Elder Gerald N. Lund of the Seventy shares how praying as a child helped him recognize an answer to prayer when he was deciding to serve a mission.
- “Because He Lives” (March 2013 Liahona and Friend)
Watoy’s teacher becomes curious when Watoy doesn’t cross himself before praying.
- “Comforting Lucy” (September 2009 Liahona and Friend)
Lucy is sad after her grandma dies and prays for comfort.
- “David’s Prayer” (August 2004 Liahona and Friend)
When he was a young boy, President David O. McKay (1873–1970) prayed to overcome his fear of the dark.
- “He Is Listening” (June 2010 Liahona and Friend)
A story for young children about a boy who learns about the nature of God and prayer. Includes an activity about how to prepare to pray.
- “He Is There” (January 2012 Liahona and Friend)
Sister Rosemary M. Wixom, the Primary General President, talks about a time her son was very sick. Although she was scared, she prayed and felt peace. Heavenly Father hears all prayers.
- “Lead Me, Guide Me” (July 2010 Liahona and Friend)
A brother and sister pray that the Lord will help them find their way home in a foreign country.
- “Our Page” (February 2010 Liahona)
This page includes the testimony of a girl from Taiwan who prayed to feel peace when she was afraid of being left at school.
- “Our Page” (April 2010 Liahona)
This page includes the testimony of a girl from Switzerland who prayed to better understand the gospel.
- “Our Page” (August 2010 Liahona)
This page includes the testimony of a boy from Germany who prayed to help his family find their car key.
- “Prayers, Notes, and Natural Disasters” (August 2012 Liahona and Friend)
Two girls in different parts of the world prayed to get through natural disasters.
- “Stones, Arrows, and Snowballs” (January 2012 Liahona and Friend)
David prays to be protected from a snowball attack, and walks calmly through without getting hit.
- “A Simple Prayer” (May 2011 Friend)
A story for young children about a boy teaching his friend to bless the food.
- “Elevator Prayers” (August 2012 Friend)
Harrison says a prayer when he is left by himself on an elevator. We can pray anywhere.
- “Enos Repents” (April 2012 Friend)
An illustrated retelling of the scripture story.
- “He Will Help You” (January 2013 Friend)
Ian S. Arden of the Seventy tells the story of praying for help to learn to ride his new bicycle.
- “Keep Praying” (February 2004 Friend)
Desiree prays for her parents’ safety while they are traveling home.
- “Looking Towards the Temple” (April 2013 Friend)
A young boy uses the temple to navigate home when he gets lost.
- “Night Fright” (May 2012 Friend)
A boy prays to feel peace when he wakes up in the night and is afraid.
- “Only a Prayer Away” (March 2007 Friend)
Hyrum says a prayer when he gets separated from his mom at the airport.
- “Paul’s Surgery” (November 2012 Friend)
A young boy is comforted by praying when he needs to have his ears operated on.
- “Pirates!” (September 2008 Friend)
A historical story about Ellen, who learns that there is no such thing as too many prayers when pirates spot their ship sailing from England.
- “Pray and Plan” (April 2013 Friend)
Elder Carl B. Cook of the Seventy talks about how a prayer helped him find a missing nickel.
- “Prayer and Work” (November 2007 Friend)
Elder Neil L. Anderson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles shares how Heavenly Father helped him find his favorite rabbit.
- “Prayer Is Important” (April 2004 Friend)
Elder William R. Walker talks about praying for his sick baby brother. No matter how young we are, prayer is important.
- “Remembering to Pray” (January 2012 Friend)
Jesse asks Heavenly Father to help him remember his daily prayers.
- “Seeking Him in Prayer” (February 2006 Friend)
Elder D. Todd Christofferson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles learned the power of prayer as a young boy.
- “Special Words” (August 2012 Friend)
Whitney learns why we use special words when we pray.
- “Stuck in the Mud” (July 2012 Friend)
Karen convinces her family to pray when their car gets stuck in the mud.
- “The $5 Miracle” (January 2013 Friend)
A young President Monson prays fervently after accidentally leaving money in jeans that are laundered. Includes a crossword about prayer.
- “Thomas’s Prayer For Peace” (November 1998 Friend)
Four-year-old Thomas prays for comfort after his family accidently leaves him alone at the house when they leave for church.
- “Trying to Be Like Jesus” (March 2009 Friend)
Features a girl from Italy who prayed that her dad, who was not a member, would understand how much the gospel meant to her. She and her dad later read stories together from the Church magazines.
- “What Scared the Barnyard Roosters” (March 2012 Friend)
When mean birds surround Bobby, a prayer helps him figure out how to escape.
- “Where’s Tessa?” (February 2012 Friend)
When her dog goes missing, Payton learns that sometimes our prayers aren’t answered immediately.
- “Why is it important for me to pray?” (June 2007 Friend)
President Henry B. Eyring of the Quroum of the Twelve Apostles shares some thoughts on the subject.
- “Will Heavenly Father always answer my prayers?” (February 2010 Friend)
Elder Richard G. Scott of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles shares some thoughts on the subject.
- Coloring Page: “I can pray to Heavenly Father.” (October 2011 Friend)
- Coloring Page: “I should respect and worship God” (September 2012 Friend)
- Family Home Evening Idea: Praying like Enos
As a family, read Enos 1:1–8 and “The Enos Experiment” (September 2006 Friend). Discuss how to have “mightier” prayer. Encourage family members to devote a day to prayer by always having a prayer in their hearts (see Alma 34:27), or perhaps visit somewhere special—like the mountains, the forest, or the beach—to give each person time for personal prayer.
- Family Home Evening Idea: Unanswered Prayers
Have you ever prayed for something you didn’t receive? Read about Ben’s experiences with prayer in “No Answer” (June 2005 Friend). What does Ben learn that can help you in your prayers? Discuss times your prayers were answered—including times you are grateful Heavenly Father did not give you what you had hoped for.
- “Heavenly Father, Are You Really There?” (September 2008 Friend)
Color and cut out prayer reminders.
- “Prayer is Reverent Communication Between God and Me” (October 2011 Friend)
Create a matching game showing different situations where children are praying. Includes discussion point suggestions.
- “Prayer Puzzle” (January 2013 Friend)
A crossword based on Alma 37:36-37.
- Image Collection: Prayer
- Music: “A Child’s Prayer” (Children’s Songbook, 12)
- Music: “I Thank Thee, Dear Father” (Children’s Songbook, 7)
- Music: “We Bow Our Heads” (Children’s Songbook, 25)
- Video: Book of Mormon Stories, “Chapter 45: Jesus Christ Teaches about the Sacrament and Prayer”
- Video: Book of Mormon Stories, “Chapter 46: Jesus Christ Teaches and Prays with the Nephites”
- Video: Mormon Messages, “Prayer”
President Thomas S. Monson shares the story of how a woman’s prayers were answered.
- Video: Mormon Messages for Youth, “Origin”
A young woman learns that the way to find truth is to go to the origin, our Heavenly Father, and ask for inspiration through prayer.
- Video: New Testament Stories, “Chapter 20: Jesus Teaches about Prayer”
- Video: One in a Million, “Sandra”
Learn about Sandra from Ghana and how her prayer was answered.