Well-known American soprano Deborah Voigt and acclaimed British actor John Rhys-Davies will join the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square for their annual Christmas concerts in the Conference Center in Salt Lake City. Mack Wilberg and Ryan Murphy will conduct the concerts.
Recognized as one of the world’s most versatile singers and one of music’s most endearing personalities, Deborah Voigt is known as a leading dramatic soprano revered for her performances in the operas of Richard Wagner and Richard Strauss, as well as portraying some of the great heroines in Italian opera. She is equally at home with the music of Broadway and America. She recently starred as Brünnhilde in the PBS series Great Performances from the Met in Wagner’s “Ring” cycle. Ms. Voight was the gold medal winner in Moscow’s Tchaikovsky Competition and first prize at Philadelphia’s Luciano Pavarotti Vocal Competition.
Acclaimed British actor John Rhys-Davies is probably best known to film audiences for his roles in Raiders of the Lost Ark and the Lord of the Rings trilogy. His television credits include Shogun and War and Remembrance. Raised in England, Africa, and Wales, he credits his early exposure to classical literature for his decision to pursue acting and writing. Mr. Rhys-Davies graduated from the University of East Anglia and studied at London’s renowned Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts. Father of two sons and one daughter and an avid collector of vintage automobiles, he divides his time between Los Angeles and the Isle of Man located in the Irish Sea between the islands of Great Britain and Ireland.
- Free tickets for these concerts and the Music and the Spoken Word broadcast are required. Because of very high demand for tickets to this event, tickets are distributed through a random selection process.
- Those interested may register on the Internet at www.lds.org/events for the opportunity to receive tickets from Saturday, October 12, 2013, at 12:01 a.m. through Monday, October 21, 2013 at 11:59 p.m.
- Those without Internet access may register over the phone at (801) 570-0080 (local) or at 1-866-537-8457. All registrations received during those two weeks will have equal chances at receiving tickets in the random selection process.
- Not all registrations will be selected to receive tickets, and only one registration per household can be accepted. The maximum number of tickets that a household may request is four. Tickets will be mailed to those selected shortly after the registration process closes. Once the random selection process is completed, all individuals who submitted a request will be notified by email whether or not they were selected to receive tickets.
- Patrons are invited to stand by for last-minute seating each evening and on Sunday morning for the Music and the Spoken Word broadcast. The standby line will form at the north gate on Temple Square approximately two hours prior to the scheduled event start time.
- The doors of the Conference Center will open at 6:30 p.m. for the evening performances and at 8:00 a.m. for the December 15 broadcast. The length of the evening performance will be approximately 90 minutes. The broadcast and mini-concert on Sunday should last approximately an hour. Admission is limited to those 8 years of age and older.
- Given the increase in traffic due to other scheduled downtown holiday events, guests are asked to allow extra time for travel and parking in order to be seated 30 minutes before the performance begins.
- Only one registration will be accepted per household.
- No exchanges.
- Seating will be general admission by section.
- Tickets not distributed through the Conference Center Ticket Office cannot be guaranteed to be authentic or valid.
- Tickets are required for this event. Those with tickets should be in their seats 30 minutes before the event start time.
- For this event in the Conference Center, admission is open to those ages eight (8) and older.
- Ambulatory seating is available. Patrons who require such seating should inform the ticket office when they obtain tickets or inform Guest Services when they arrive at the event.
- Patrons should not bring cameras or audio or video recording devices into the performance halls. Photographs are not permitted during the performance.
- Sunday dress is encouraged.
- Patrons should turn off pagers, cellular phones, and similar electronic devices during the performance.
- Food and beverages are not permitted in performance halls.
- Weapons are not permitted in performance halls.
- Patrons may not bring packages or backpacks into performance halls.
- Those attending the production should consider traffic congestion, plan to arrive early, and park in designated parking areas only.
- Parking at the Conference Center will not be available for this event.
- The Conference Center doors will open approximately two hours before the performance start time.
- The length of the performance is approximately 90 minutes.