This category is sponsored by the Leo and Merilyn Spencer Hymn Writing Fund. Submissions will be reviewed for effective presentation of a gospel message, artistic merit, usefulness for home or church, general appeal, and originality. Non-English submissions are welcomed. Awards of Distinction ($100), Awards of Merit ($50), and special recognitions may be given.
- Submissions may be made by Latter-day Saints
age 16 and over.
- Each submission should include a copy of the
text on 8½- by 11-inch paper, one side only,
accompanied by the signed statement described in
rule 5 under the General Music Category.
- Follow rules 3–7 in the General Music Category.
- You may submit only one item each year in the
Hymn Text Category.
- Hymn texts should be patterned after traditional
hymn writing, using regular meters, rhyme
schemes, and other standard poetic devices. The
messages of the texts should be in harmony with
the restored gospel. Hymns in the hymnbook may
serve as models of good hymn text writing.