Distance: 128 miles from Nauvoo
Church leaders decided to create a substantial camp at
this site, a sort of temporary settlement to serve the
thousands of weary and destitute pilgrims who would yet come
this way. Cabins were erected, grounds were fenced and
plowed, crops were planted and individuals were chosen to
remain and oversee the place. There also, in a windswept lot
known as "the cow yard," the bodies of several Saints were
laid to final rest. The site was vacated in the spring of
Parley P. Pratt
things being harmonized and put in order, the camps moved on. Arriving
at a place on a branch of Grand River we encamped for a while, having
travelled much in the midst of great and continued rains, mud and
mire. Here we enclosed and planted a public farm of many hundred
acres and commenced settlement, for the good of some who were to
tarry and of those who should follow us from Nauvoo. We called the
place 'Garden Grove'" (Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt
Allen Joseph Stout
"So we kept rolling on from place to place
through the mud until the 27th [of April] when we pitched
our tents in a beautiful grove of timber where we began to
make a farm. This place was called Garden Grove. Here it was
determined by the council that those who were out of
provisions should stop and raise a crop.
"About these times the rattle snakes bit a good many of our animals,
and there was a great exposure the Saints were forced to under go.
There one of Hoseas boys died. There was great want of bread in
camp, so that we were oppressed on every hand; but we cried to the
Lord, who heard our prayers, and we were fed by his all bountiful
hands; but some showed out their evil hearts by their mean mutterings
and selfishness" (Autobiography of Allen Joseph Stout, 1846, Miscellaneous
Mormon Diaries, vol. 17, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University,
The Camp of Israel
10 April 1846
"This is the 'title and address,' which has been adopted by the
company of Mormons now on their way Westward.
A mail carrier arrived here on Monday last from the Camp, and reported
the pioneer party, or head of the Column, as having crossed the
tributaries of the Chariton, over 150 miles distant. By this time
they are probably on the banks of the Missouri.
"Thus far, everything has gone favorably, with the exception of
the breaking down of a few overladen wagons. The party is in good
health and spiritsno dissensions exist and the 'Grand Caravan'
moves on slowly but steadily and peacefully. Their progress has
been materially retarded by the want of fodder for their live-stock;the
grass not having fairly started, reduced them to the necessity of
laboring for the farmers on the route, to supply the deficiency.
"They travel in detached companies, from five to ten miles apart,
and, in point of order, resemble a military expedition" ("The
'Camp of Israel,'" Hancock Eagle, 10 Apr. 1946, 3).
courtesy of Infobases, Inc.