The Church of
Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized in the
Peter Whitmer home at Fayette, New York, on April 6, 1830,
at the Lord's command. Joseph Smith had come to stay
at the Whitmer home in June 1829 to escape persecution
in Pennsylvania. Within a month of his arrival, the
Prophet completed the Book of Mormon translation, the angel
Moroni showed the golden plates to the Three
Witnesses, and the Lord revealed procedures for
establishing His Church.
On April 6, about
60 friends and family members crowded into the
20-by-30-foot home to witness the organization of what was
then called the Church of Christ. Joseph Smith and
Oliver Cowdery were sustained as the first and second
elders in the Church. On that occasion, they offered
prayers, blessed and passed the sacrament, and received
divine revelation. Following the service, several in
attendance were baptized, including the Prophet's
many revelations while living at the Whitmer home. The
first three conferences of the Church were held here, and
missionaries were sent from this place to the western
frontier of the United States, baptizing many people
in Ohio and some in Missouri.
In 1831, the
Whitmers moved to Ohio. The Church purchased 100 acres of
the Whitmer farm in 1926. The Whitmer home was rebuilt on
its original site and dedicated in 1980 by President
Spencer W. Kimball.
Learn more about the translation of the Book of Mormon.
Learn more about Joseph Smith's role as a translator.
Read an article about the organization of the Church.
Click here to learn more about the Peter Whitmer farm.