The Book of Mormon was
first printed and sold in the Grandin Building located in
downtown Palmyra, New York. After translating the golden
plates, Joseph Smith "agreed with Mr. Egbert B. Grandin to
print five thousand copies"1 of the Book of Mormon.
Publication of the book was financed by Martin Harris, a
family friend who mortgaged part of his farm to guarantee
the $3,000 printing cost.
In mid-August 1829, the
Prophet Joseph, with Martin Harris, Oliver Cowdery, Hyrum
Smith, Joseph Smith Sr., and several others gathered around
Grandin's press to print and inspect a proof sheet. Joseph
declared the work was "excellent," and printing of the book
Book of Mormon was first offered for sale in Grandin's
bookstore on March 26, 1830, as another witness of the
divinity and mission of Jesus Christ. It also provides
tangible evidence of the prophetic calling of Joseph Smith.
The Church purchased the
Grandin Building in 1978 and opened it as a historic site
several years later. At the conclusion of extensive
restoration in 1998, the building was dedicated as the Book
of Mormon Historic Publication Site.
History of the Church, 1:71.
2. See "Two
Significant Sites of the Restoration," Ensign,
Sept. 1998, 35–36.
Learn more about the coming forth of the Book of Mormon.
Read an article about two of the sacred sites of the Restoration.
Click here to learn more about the Book of Mormon publication site.