Joseph Smith and
his family moved to the home of John and Elsa Johnson in
Hiram, Ohio, in September 1831. The Johnson's were recent
converts to the Church and had become acquainted with
the Prophet while in Kirtland.
During the year
Joseph Smith stayed here, the Johnson home served as
headquarters of the Church. Joseph received an outpouring of
revelation within these walls, including a magnificent
vision of the Father and the Son and the three degrees
of glory. Several conferences were also held here. In
November 1831, the conference voted to publish a Book of
Commandments containing revelations received by the Prophet.
The Lord confirmed His approval of this book, which
eventually became the Doctrine and Covenants.
In March 1832,
Joseph was attacked by a mob in the middle of the night
and was tarred and feathered near the home. The next day,
despite his injuries, Joseph preached as he often did
to a large congregation gathered in front of the home
and baptized three persons.
of the Saints, including most of the Johnson family, left
Hiram. The Church acquired the 160-acre Johnson Farm in 1956
and completely restored the home to its original
condition in 2001.
Learn more about some of the trials Joseph Smith experienced.
Click here to learn more about the John Johnson Home.
Click here to learn about the plan of salvation on mormon.org.