Gospel Art Picture Kit
D&C 88:117–130; 109–10
Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God. D&C 88:119
Temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, like those in ancient times, are holy buildings dedicated to the Lord. A temple, also called the house of the Lord, is a place where worthy Church members receive sacred ordinances and make solemn covenants with God. In these holy temples, families are sealed together forever. Although design and location vary, the work accomplished in each of the Lord’s temples is the same.
Heavenly Father established a plan so that the blessings of the temple could be offered to all His children. People who have received their own ordinances are encouraged to return to the temple often to act as proxies for those who have died without having the opportunity of going to the temple for themselves.
The Kirtland (Ohio) Temple was the first house of the Lord built in the latter days. In 1832 the Lord commanded the Saints to build this holy house for a place of revelation and instruction (see D&C 88:117–30). For three years the Kirtland Saints devoted themselves to fulfilling this commandment. As the Saints sacrificed money and labor, the Lord blessed and strengthened them. The temple was dedicated on 27 March 1836. The Saints witnessed many spiritual manifestations and had many spiritual experiences in the weeks before the dedication, during the dedication itself, and in the weeks following the dedication. (See D&C 109.)
The most important of these spiritual manifestations occurred a week after the dedication. On 3 April 1836, Jesus Christ appeared to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery and accepted the Kirtland Temple as His house. Then Moses, Elias, and Elijah appeared and gave Joseph and Oliver authority to gather Israel in the last days and to seal families together for eternity. (See D&C 110.) Elijah had restored the sealing keys so Latter-day Saints could perform sacred ordinances for both the living and the dead. Unfortunately, the Saints were forced to abandon the Kirtland Temple before these sacred ordinances could be performed, but the spiritual knowledge received there helped prepare the Saints for future trials and blessings.
The Kirtland Temple is currently owned by the Community of Christ (Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints).
Temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are holy buildings dedicated to the Lord. A temple is also called the house of the Lord. It is a place where worthy Church members receive saving ordinances and make sacred covenants with God. In temples families can be sealed together forever. The Kirtland Temple was the first house of the Lord built in the latter days and was a place where several heavenly visitors came. Jesus Christ Himself appeared to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery and accepted the Kirtland Temple as His house. Moses, Elias, and Elijah also came and gave Joseph and Oliver the authority to gather Israel and to seal families together forever.
© 1992, 1997 by Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved. Printed in the USA^ Back to top