For All the Saints
“82: For All the Saints,” Hymns of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, no. 82
1. For all the Saints who from their labors rest,
Who thee by faith before the world confessed,
Thy name, O Jesus, be forever blest.
2. Oh, may thy soldiers, faithful, true, and bold,
Fight as the Saints who nobly fought of old,
And win with them the victor’s crown of gold.
3. Thou art our rock, our fortress, and our might;
Thou, Lord, our captain in the well-fought fight;
Thou, in the darkness drear, our one true light.
4. And when the strife is fierce, the warfare long,
Steals on the ear the distant triumph song,
And hearts are brave again, and arms are strong.
5. From earth’s wide bounds, from ocean’s farthest coast,
Through gates of pearl streams in the countless host,
Singing to Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
Text: William Walsham How, 1823–1897, alt.
Music: Ralph Vaughan Williams, 1872–1958. Reprinted from the English Hymnal by permission of Oxford University Press. Making copies without written permission of the copyright owner is prohibited.^ Back to top