To the Quorum Adviser:Organizing Lessons from General Conference Addresses
“Lesson 50: To the Quorum Adviser: Organizing Lessons from General Conference Addresses,” Aaronic Priesthood Manual 1, 182
The words of living prophets are excellent resources for additional lessons. Select current conference addresses printed in the Ensign and Liahona magazines. Preparing and presenting these lessons will give you opportunities to be directed by the Spirit in addressing specific needs of quorum members. The young men should be notified in advance which addresses will be taught so they will be prepared for discussion. In developing these lessons, use the teachings of General Authorities, conference addresses, and the scriptures.
Follow the same procedures for preparing and presenting these lessons as you follow for the lessons in the manual. In addition, the following steps of preparation will be helpful:
1. Prayerfully discern what gospel principle or main idea is taught in the selected address. Outline two or three supporting ideas that contribute to the main idea.
2. Decide what you want to accomplish as a result of the lesson. For example, do you want to help the young men understand a principle, increase in faith, develop an attitude, or be motivated to change their behavior?
3. Organize the lesson materials. Locate additional scripture references. Ask the meetinghouse librarian for appropriate visuals.
4. Prepare questions about selected quotations and scriptures in the address. What do the quotations and scriptures mean? Liken them to the young men (see 1 Nephi 19:23).
5. Select teaching methods that will involve the class members, and assign class members to participate. Refer to Teaching, No Greater Call (36123) for explanations of teaching methods.
The following chart may be useful when preparing a lesson from an address.
Title of address: _____________________________________________________________
Gospel principle or main idea: _______________________________________________________
Supporting ideas:_________________________________________________________________^ Back to top