Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Brigham Young
Table of Contents
- Introduction v
- Historical Summary vii
- Chapter 1: The Ministry of Brigham Young 1
- Chapter 2: The Gospel Defined 15
- Chapter 3: Living the Gospel 21
- Chapter 4: Knowing and Honoring the Godhead 29
- Chapter 5: Accepting the Atonement of Jesus Christ 37
- Chapter 6: The Communication between God and Man 41
- Chapter 7: The Plan of Salvation 49
- Chapter 8: Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ 55
- Chapter 9: Repentance and Baptism 61
- Chapter 10: The Influence of the Holy Ghost 67
- Chapter 11: Choosing to Walk in Obedience 71
- Chapter 12: Preventing Personal Apostasy 79
- Chapter 13: Preparing for Eternal Progression 85
- Chapter 14: Dispensations of the Gospel 93
- Chapter 15: The Settlement in the West 101
- Chapter 16: Building Zion 111
- Chapter 17: The Scriptures 119
- Chapter 18: The Priesthood 125
- Chapter 19: The Relief Society and Individual Responsibility 131
- Chapter 20: Church Organization and Government 137
- Chapter 21: Honoring the Sabbath and the Sacrament 145
- Chapter 22: Tithing and Consecration 155
- Chapter 23: Understanding the New and Everlasting Covenant of Marriage 163
- Chapter 24: Teaching the Family 171
- Chapter 25: Cultivating Gratitude, Humility, and Honesty 177
- Chapter 26: Happiness and Social Enjoyment 183
- Chapter 27: Learning by Study and by Faith 193
- Chapter 28: Exercising Self-Control 203
- Chapter 29: Living the Word of Wisdom 211
- Chapter 30: Developing Christlike Attitudes toward Others 217
- Chapter 31: Thrift, Industry, and Self-Reliance 225
- Chapter 32: Temporal Wealth and the Kingdom of God 235
- Chapter 33: Missionary Work 243
- Chapter 34: Strengthening the Saints through the Gifts of the Spirit 251
- Chapter 35: The Blessings of Trials, Chastening, and Persecution 261
- Chapter 36: Earthly Governments and the Kingdom of God 267
- Chapter 37: Understanding Death and Resurrection 273
- Chapter 38: The Spirit World 279
- Chapter 39: Eternal Judgment 285
- Chapter 40: Salvation through Jesus Christ 291
- Chapter 41: Temple Ordinances 299
- Chapter 42: Temple Service 307
- Chapter 43: Our Search for Truth and Personal Testimony 315
- Chapter 44: The Kingdom of God and the Gathering of Israel 323
- Chapter 45: The Last Days 331
- Chapter 46: Parental Responsibility 337
- Chapter 47: President Brigham Young’s Witness of the Prophet Joseph Smith 343
- Chapter 48: A Call for Unity, a Testimony, and a Blessing 353
- Works Cited and Abbreviations Used 360
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Salt Lake City, Utah
© 1997 by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
All rights reserved
Printed in the United States of America
English approval: 10/95
Page 8: Crossing the Mississippi on the Ice, by C. C. A. Christensen. © courtesy Museum of Art, Brigham Young University. All rights reserved.
Page 48: The Sermon on the Mount, by Carl Bloch. Original at the Chapel of Frederiksborg Castle, Denmark. Used by permission of the Frederiksborgmuseum.
Page 102: To Them of the Last Wagon, by Lynn Fausett. © courtesy Museum of Art, Brigham Young University. All rights reserved.
Page 144: This Do in Remembrance of Me, by Harry Anderson. Used by permission of Pacific Press Publishing Association.
Page 148: Photograph courtesy Utah State Historical Society, Charles W. Carter.
Page 170: Photograph courtesy Utah State Historical Society.
Page 255: Catching Quails, by C. C. A. Christensen. © courtesy Museum of Art, Brigham Young University. All rights reserved.
Page 260: Mobs Attack the First Settlement in Jackson County, Missouri, 1833, by C. C. A. Christensen. © courtesy Museum of Art, Brigham Young University. All rights reserved.
Page 264: Haun’s Mill, by C. C. A. Christensen. © courtesy Museum of Art, Brigham Young University. All rights reserved.
Page 345: Joseph Smith Visits Brigham Young from the Spirit World, by Clark Kelley Price. © Clark Kelley Price.
Your comments and suggestions about this book would be appreciated. Please submit them to Curriculum Planning, 50 East North Temple Street, Room 2420, Salt Lake City, UT 84150-3220 USA. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please list your name, address, ward, and stake. Be sure to give the title of the book. Then offer your comments and suggestions about the book’s strengths and areas of potential improvement.