Karen Lofgreen, “Sharing Time: The Godhead,” Friend, Feb 1995, 36
I Believe in the Godhead
We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost (
You are special! You know many things. Do you know someone who knows everything? Three glorious persons do know everything: God, the Eternal Father; His Son, Jesus Christ; and the Holy Ghost. They are the three members of the Godhead.
When the Prophet Joseph Smith wrote the Articles of Faith, he knew that it was important for us to know about the Godhead and to understand how the members are alike and how they are different. “The Father has a body of flesh and bones … ; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost … is a personage of Spirit (D&C 130:22).
God the Eternal Father is the father of everyone. He is kind, and he loves you and all his children. Because he loves you, he sent his Son Jesus Christ to be your Savior and to be an example for you to follow.
Heavenly Father also wanted someone to always be near you to help you and to teach you, so he sent the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost helps you make right choices.
The scriptures help us learn about each member of the Godhead. After you read each characteristic and scripture citation below, look up the reference to learn more about God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost. Then color the spaces in the picture as suggested after the scripture reference. The title, “The Godhead,” may be any color you choose. When you finish, outline the letters you see in black, and you will have a beautiful mosaic to hang in your room.
2. You receive the Holy Ghost after you are baptized: “If thou wilt … be baptized … in the name of … Jesus Christ … , ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.” (See Moses 6:52.) Color 2s and 16s orange.
3. The Holy Ghost is a gift from Heavenly Father: “The Holy Ghost, which … shall dwell in your heart … is thy gift.” (See D&C 8:2–4.) Color 3s and 33s green.
4. Jesus is Heavenly Father’s Son: “Jesus is baptized and the Father acclaims him,” saying, “This is my beloved Son.” (See Matt. 3:17, heading.) Color 4s and 17s blue.
5. God the Father lives in a beautiful and shiny place: “The angels … reside in the presence of God, on a globe like a sea of glass and fire.” (See D&C 130:6–7.) Color 5s, 22s, and 27s purple.
6. God the Father knows all things: “O how great the holiness of our God! For he knoweth all things.” (See 2 Ne. 9:20.) Color 6s and 23s yellow.
7. Jesus Christ created our earth: “The Father … hath delivered us … into the kingdom of his dear Son: … For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth.” (See Col. 1:12–16.) Color 7s, 18s, and 32s purple.
8. Jesus Christ is the perfect example: “Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; … For I have given you an example.” (See John 13:13–15.) Color 8s and 29s blue.
9. The Holy Ghost helps you gain a testimony of Jesus Christ: “Ye may know that he is, by the power of the Holy Ghost.” (See Moro. 10:7.) Color 9s, 21s, and 34s red.
10. God the Father gave us his Only Begotten Son: “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son.” (See John 3:16.) Color 10s and 25s yellow.
11. Jesus Christ is the God of this earth: “Behold, I am Jesus Christ. … I am the God of … the whole earth.” (See 3 Ne. 11:10–14.) Color 11s, 26s, and 31s red.
12. You lived with Heavenly Father in heaven: “Ye have known him … from the beginning … , because ye have known the Father.” (See 1 Jn. 2:13.) Color 12s green.
13. The Holy Ghost helps you to know the truth: “And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.” (See Moro. 10:5.) Color 13s, 19s, and 35s blue.
14. You belong to Jesus’ church: “For thus shall my church be called in the last days, even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.” (See D&C 115:4.) Color 14s, 24s, and 30s green.
15. The Holy Ghost can guide you: “If ye will … receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should do.” (See 2 Ne. 32:5.) Color 15s and 28s orange.
Sharing Time Ideas
1. Have the younger children pass a beanbag to each other while music is being played. When the music stops, the child holding the beanbag shares a characteristic of a member of the Godhead.
2. Divide the children into three groups. Have one group sing “I Know My Father Lives”; the second, “He Sent His Son”; the third, “The Holy Ghost” (pp. 5, 34, and 105, respectively, in the Children’s Songbook). After each group has sung, have them talk about the characteristics they discovered in their song about that member of the Godhead.
3. On pieces of cardboard, make a set of pictures and/or words that describe characteristics of the members of the Godhead. Have children match each characteristic with a member of the Godhead. Note: Some characteristics apply to more than one member of the Godhead.
4. Read the first article of faith to the children. Teach them “The Godhead” as a keyword or phrase that best describes what the article is about. Explain that during the year, they will learn other words or phrases to help them understand and remember each of the Articles of Faith.
5. Have children draw a picture to illustrate the following term to add to their “My Articles of Faith Book” (see Sharing Time, Friend, Jan. 1995, p. 37): “Godhead—Three Sacred Individuals: God the Eternal Father; His Son Jesus Christ; and the Holy Ghost.”^ Back to top