1. Prayer is the soul's sincere desire,Uttered or unexpressed,The motion of a hidden fireThat trembles in the breast.
2. Prayer is the burden of a sigh,The falling of a tear,The upward glancing of an eyeWhen none but God is near.
3. Prayer is the simplest form of speechThat infant lips can try;Prayer, the sublimest strains that reachThe Majesty on high.
4. Prayer is the Christian's vital breath,The Christian's native air,His watchword at the gates of death;He enters heav'n with prayer.
5. Prayer is the contrite sinner's voice,Returning from his ways,While angels in their songs rejoiceAnd cry, "Behold, he prays!"
6. The Saints in prayer appear as oneIn word and deed and mind,While with the Father and the SonTheir fellowship they find.
7. Nor prayer is made on earth alone:The Holy Spirit pleads,And Jesus at the Father's throneFor sinners intercedes.
8. O thou by whom we come to God,The Life, the Truth, the Way!The path of prayer thyself hast trod;Lord, teach us how to pray.
Text: James Montgomery, 1771-1854Music: George Careless, 1839-1932
- Hymn Number
- George Careless, 1839-1932
- James Montgomery, 1771-1854
- 3 Nephi 13:5-13, 3 Nephi 18:15-20, James 5:16
- CM (Common Meter)
- 8 6 8 6
- Prayer, Repentance, Unity
La oración del alma es
Eis-nos agora aqui