To express the meaning of an idea given in one language in equal terms in another language (Mosiah 8:8–13; A of F 1:8). In the scriptures it is often referred to as a gift from God (Alma 9:21; D&C 8; 9:7–9). It sometimes can mean to improve or correct an existing translation in a language or to restore a lost text (D&C 45:60–61). Joseph Smith was commanded to undertake an inspired translation of the King James Bible (D&C 42:56; 76:15).
- Joseph Smith had the power to translate through the mercy of God, by the power of God:D&C 1:29;
- You have a gift to translate:D&C 5:4;
- I grant unto you a gift, if you desire of me, to translate:D&C 6:25;
- God gave Joseph Smith power from on high to translate the Book of Mormon:D&C 20:8;
- By the means of the Urim and Thummim I translated some of the characters:JS—H 1:62; ( Mosiah 8:13;