Falsehood or deceit; pride. Vain and vanity can also mean empty or without value.
- He who has not lifted up his soul unto vanity will stand in the Lord’s holy place:Ps. 24:3–4;
- When ye pray, use not vain repetitions:Matt. 6:7;
- The large and spacious building is vain imaginations and pride:1 Ne. 12:18;
- Will ye persist in setting your hearts upon the vain things of the world?:Alma 5:53;
- Seek not after the vain things of this world, for you cannot carry them with you:Alma 39:14;
- Vanity and unbelief have brought the Church under condemnation:D&C 84:54–55;
- When we try to gratify our vain ambition, the heavens withdraw:D&C 121:37;