Skip main navigation
4. Kirtland, Ohio, 1830–38
- Newel K. Whitney Home Joseph and Emma lived here for several weeks after they first moved to Kirtland in 1831. Joseph received several revelations here.
- Isaac Morley Farm Joseph and Emma Smith lived here from March until September 1831. The first high priests were ordained here. Joseph worked on the Joseph Smith Translation of the Bible (JST).
- Newel K. Whitney Store The First Presidency of the Church was given the keys of the kingdom here. The School of the Prophets met here during the winter of 1833. The JST was in the process of completion here in 1833. Joseph and Emma lived here from 1832 to 1833. Joseph received many revelations here.
- Johnson Inn The inn contained the first printing office in Kirtland. The Evening and the Morning Star was printed here following the destruction of the printing press in Jackson County, Missouri. The Twelve Apostles left from here on May 4, 1835, for their first missions.
- Joseph Smith Jr. Home Joseph and Emma lived here from late 1833 to early 1838. Translation of the book of Abraham was completed, and Joseph received several revelations here.
- Printing Office The Lectures on Faith were delivered in this building. The Twelve Apostles and the First Quorum of the Seventy were called and ordained here. The Doctrine and Covenants (1st edition), the Book of Mormon (2nd edition), The Evening and the Morning Star, Latter Day Saints’ Messenger and Advocate, and the first issues of Elders’ Journal were printed here.
- Kirtland Temple This temple was the first in this dispensation. Jesus Christ appeared and accepted the temple. Moses, Elias, and Elijah appeared and restored certain priesthood keys (see D&C 110). The School of the Prophets also met here. Revelations received here: D&C 109–10; 137. Kirtland On August 17, 1835, the Doctrine and Covenants was adopted as scripture. Revelations received in Kirtland include D&C 41–50; 52–56; 63–64; 72; 78; 84–98; 101–4; 106–10; 112; 134; and 137. Section 104 designates certain properties to be given as stewardships to Church members participating in the united order (see verses 19–46).