International Video Contest
Important Information about Creating Your Video
Creating Your Message
- Learn and benefit from what the world is doing, but figure out how to create content in the Lord´s way. Make your video "stand apart" from the world.
- Don´t be casual with sacred things.
- If you use Church video where one of the Brethren is speaking, give him and his message the entire focus. Especially make sure music, transitions, and extra video clips or photos don´t compete with the message or the speaker. Be careful and protect the dignity of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.
- Make sure your video reinforces Church doctrine.
- View some current Mormon Messages to see examples.
- Help our audience understand that "we follow Jesus Christ."
- Look for opportunities to "elevate the prophetic word" by using messages from recent general conference talks.
- Avoid jargon used by Church members. Are there any words or phrases that would be confusing to those who are not members of the Church?
- Do not begin messages with a pulpit shot.
- Story arcs with two or three emotions can be powerful. For example, in the Mormon Message My New Life, there are humorous scenes interspersed with the weighty emotion of the rest of the piece.
- Make sure your message´s key point is emphasized throughout. Avoid multiple key points.
- Focus on approaches that encourage sharing. Universal messages transcend religions and beliefs and inspire others to share the video with their friends.
- Your video should help people feel and understand the message in a way that dispels common misconceptions about Mormons.
Audio and Video Suggestions
- Use the best microphone you have. Audio is one element that needs to be clear.
- Use the best resolution you can.
- Save your master source files. You will be able to upload them to the Church at the end of the contest.