You know your child best. By starting a conversation with your bishop or branch president about your child’s unique abilities, you will help direct your child to a mission the Lord has specifically prepared.
What Is a YCSM?
A YCSM is a service missionary who is called and set apart to serve a mission for up to 24 months. YCSMs typically live with their families, who provide transportation and pay living, medical, and other expenses. YCSMs serve as close to full time as their capabilities and situations allow.
What Do YCSMs Do?
These are some of the meaningful ways YCSMs help build the kingdom of God:
- Help members live the gospel more fully by supporting seminary and institute and other Church programs.
- Enable the salvation of the dead by serving in the family history program.
- Care for the poor and needy by serving in one of the many Church welfare operations.
- Support efforts to share the gospel by serving in a mission office.
- Provide service to local nonprofit organizations.
- Strengthen individuals and families through meaningful service.
- Complete special projects for stake presidents or bishops.
Who Can Serve as a YCSM?
- Worthy young women ages 19 to 25 who desire to serve as YCSMs
- Worthy young men ages 18 to 25 who have been honorably excused from serving a full-time proselyting mission for health reasons or other considerations
- Missionaries who return home early from full-time missionary service due to accident, illness, or similar conditions and who desire to finish their term of service as a YCSM
Where Do YCSMs Serve?
YCSMs usually serve close to where they live. Because each mission opportunity requires particular skills and abilities, you may need to explore several options before finding a good fit. Your priesthood leader will work with your local YCSM facilitator to discover the most appropriate opportunities.
How Are YCSMs Recommended for Service?
No matter the task, YCSMs serve missions for the Lord. You are needed. Find the mission the Lord has prepared for you.
- The YCSM candidate meets with the priesthood leader.
- If the candidate qualifies, the priesthood leader recommends the candidate online.
- The priesthood leader connects the candidate with a local YCSM facilitator to identify a mission assignment.
- The candidate completes the mission assignment schedule portion of the Online Recommendation form.
- The priesthood leader interviews the YCSM candidate and completes the Online Recommendation form.
- Once processing is complete, the priesthood leader issues an official call to the candidate.
The priesthood leader sets apart the YCSM and releases him or her when the mission ends.