Primary is for children ages 18 months through 11 years. The Primary theme is “All thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children” (3 Nephi 22:13). The purposes of Primary are to help children:
- Feel Heavenly Father’s love for them.
- Learn and understand the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- Feel and recognize the influence of the Holy Ghost.
- Prepare to make and keep sacred covenants.
Parents have the first responsibility for the spiritual and physical welfare of their children (see D&C 68:25–28). The bishopric, Primary leaders, and Primary teachers support but do not replace parents in this responsibility.
As you read Handbook 2, consider the landmarks (the objectives) along the way:
- Does each child feel Heavenly Father’s love for him or her?
- Are the children learning and understanding the gospel of Jesus Christ?
- Do they know how to recognize the influence of the Holy Ghost?
- Are they preparing to make and keep sacred covenants?
Learn more about the purpose and objectives of Primary in Handbook 2: Administering the Church, 11.1.