Each year, a meeting called Temple and Priesthood Preparation is held for 11-year-old boys and girls together. Their parents are also invited. The purpose is to help these children understand the blessings of temple service, priesthood service, and making and keeping sacred covenants. Possible topics for the meeting include priesthood purposes, responsibilities, ordinances, and blessings; helping boys strengthen their commitment to prepare to receive the priesthood; helping boys and girls understand their opportunities to participate in the work of salvation; and encouraging children to prepare to receive a limited-use temple recommend when they turn 12 and to participate worthily in proxy baptisms as their circumstances allow.
Below are some resources and guidelines to assist you in planning the meeting.
- “Priesthood Principles,” Handbook 2: Administering the Church (2010), section 2
- “The Price of Priesthood Power,” President Russell M. Nelson, Apr. 2016 general conference
- “Planning New Temple and Priesthood Preparation Meeting? Here Are Some Guidelines,” Church News, Jan. 2018
- Doctrine and Covenants 20:38–60 (duties of priesthood holders)
- Thomas S. Monson, “The Holy Temple—a Beacon to the World,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2011, 90–94
- Dallin H. Oaks, “The Keys and Authority of the Priesthood,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2014, 49–52
- Quentin L. Cook, “Roots and Branches,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2014, 44–48
- Neil L. Andersen, “Power in the Priesthood,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2013, 92–95
- Carole M. Stephens, “Do We Know What We Have?” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2013, 12–14
- “Temple Challenge” (video, 2:08)
- The Primary presidency plans the meeting under the direction of the bishopric.
- A member of the bishopric conducts the meeting, and at least one member of the Primary presidency attends.
- Other leaders, including members of the deacons quorum presidency, the Beehive class presidency, and Young Men and Young Women presidencies, may also attend.
- If a ward has very few 11-year-olds, the meeting may be held, under the direction of the stake presidency, with other wards or with the entire stake.
- According to local needs, the meeting may be held on a Sunday evening, as part of a Primary meeting on Sunday, or at another time.