Training for Visiting Teachers
Sister Julie B. Beck recently taught, “Visiting teaching is an expression of [our] discipleship and a significant way to honor [our] covenants. This element of our discipleship should closely resemble the ministry of our Savior.”
Question: As a disciple of Jesus Christ, how am I improving in my ability to minister one by one as a visiting teacher?
- Julie B. Beck, "What I Hope My Granddaughters (and Grandsons) Will Understand about Relief Society," Liahona, Nov. 2011
- Daughters in My Kingdom, page 105
- Daughters in My Kingdom, page 123
Call to Action, December 2011
Sister Silvia H. Allred recently said, “I conclude with an invitation to all the women in the Church to plead for a desire to be filled with the gift of charity, the pure love of Christ. Use all your resources to do good, bringing relief and salvation to those around you, including your own family.”
In what ways can I demonstrate true discipleship as I minister to the sisters I visit teach?
How have you used your gifts and talents to bless others? Share your thoughts and experiences with us at email@example.com.
- Thomas S Monson, “Charity Never Faileth,” Liahona, November 2010
- Jeffrey R. Holland, “Charity Never Faileth: A discussion on Relief Society,” Liahona, March 2011
- Silvia H. Allred, “Charity Never Faileth,” Liahona, November 2011
- Julie B. Beck
- Relief Society General President
- Oct. 2011, Liahona
- Related Topics Book of Mormon, covenants, motherhood
Call to Action, October 2011
Sister Julie B. Beck has taught, “The Lord has told us that our time should 'be devoted to the studying of the scriptures' (D&C 26:1) and that 'the Book of Mormon and the holy scriptures are given … for [our] instruction' (D&C 33:16). … If you have not already developed the habit of daily scripture study, start now and keep studying in order to be prepared for your responsibilities in this life and in the eternities.”
How has scripture study strengthened you personally? Share your thoughts and experiences with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jeffrey R. Holland, “Safety for the Soul,” Liahona, November, 2009
- David A. Bednar, “Watching with All Perserverance,” Liahona, May 2010
- Craig C. Christensen, “A Book with a Promise,” Liahona, May 2008
- Julie B. Beck, “My Soul Delighteth in the Scriptures,” Liahona, May, 2004
Call to Action, September 2011
Elder M. Russell Ballard has taught, "It rests upon each one of us as mothers and fathers to do all we can to prepare our youth to be faithful, righteous men and women. It is in the home where we must teach the gospel by precept and by example."
How are you helping your family to develop holy habits and righteous routines? Share your thoughts and experiences with us at email@example.com
- M. Russell Ballard, "Mothers and Daughters," Liahona, May 2010
- Richard J. Maynes, "Establishing a Christ-Centered Home," Liahona, May 2011
- Julie B. Beck, "Teaching the Doctrine of the Family," Liahona, March 2011
- Barbara Thompson, "I Will Strengthen Thee; I Will Help Thee," Liahona, Nov. 2007
- Prophets and Apostles Speak Today, “Mexican Saints Told to Form Holy Habits, Righteous Routines”
Call to Action, August 2011
Elder M. Russell Ballard has taught, “Every sister in this Church who has made covenants with the Lord has a divine mandate to help save souls, to lead the women of the world, to strengthen the homes of Zion, and to build the kingdom of God.”
Because of the covenants you have made, what are you doing to contribute to the work of the Lord? Share your thoughts and experiences with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “The Influence of Righteous Women,” Liahona, Sept. 2009
- M. Russell Ballard, “Women of Righteousness,” Liahona, Dec. 2002
Call to Action, July 2011
President Thomas S. Monson recently taught: “As you and I go to the holy houses of God, as we remember the covenants we make within, we will be more able to bear every trial and to overcome each temptation. In this sacred sanctuary we will find peace; we will be renewed and fortified.”
Have you personally felt the blessings of peace and comfort as you attend the temple? Please share your thoughts and experiences with us at email@example.com
- Thomas S. Monson, “The Holy Temple—a Beacon to the World,” Liahona, May 2011
- Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “Temple Blessings,” Liahona, August 2010
Call to Action, June 2011
In the 2009 worldwide leadership training, Sister Julie B. Beck taught, “Self-reliance means using all of our blessings from Heavenly Father to care for ourselves and our families and to find solutions for our own problems.”
Ask yourself: How has our family become more self-reliant? Please share your thoughts and experiences with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Henry B. Eyring, “Opportunities to Do Good,” Liahona, May 2011
H. David Burton, “The Sanctifying Work of Welfare,” Liahona, May 2011
Julie B. Beck, “The Welfare Responsibilities of the Relief Society President,” 2009 worldwide leadership training meeting
Call to Action, April 2011
Sister Julie B. Beck taught, “Righteous women today seek an outpouring of revelation to resist distractions, fight evil and spiritual destruction, and rise above personal disasters by increasing their faith, strengthening their families, and providing relief to others.”
How can personal revelation strengthen your faith and increase your own commitment to personal righteousness?
Share your thoughts and experiences with us at email@example.com.
- Julie B. Beck, "Fulfilling the Purpose of Relief Society," Ensign, Nov. 2008, 108–11
- Julie B. Beck, “‘Daughters in My Kingdom’: The History and Work of Relief Society,” Ensign, Nov. 2010, 112–15
- Thomas S. Monson, “The Mighty Strength of the Relief Society,” Ensign, Nov. 1997, 94-97
Call to Action, March 2011
President Boyd K. Packer taught: “Service in the Relief Society magnifies and sanctifies each individual sister. Your membership in Relief Society should be ever with you” (“The Circle of Sisters,” Ensign, Nov. 1980, 109).
Have you personally recognized the blessings of actively participating in Relief Society’s sacred work? Share your thoughts and experiences with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Boyd K. Packer, "The Circle of Sisters,” Oct. 1980 general conference
- Dallin H. Oaks, "The Relief Society and the Church,” Apr. 1992 general conference
- Julie B. Beck, "Relief Society: A Sacred Work,” Oct. 2009 general conference