Audience: Parents and children
Objective: Parents and children have a family history experience as they create boxes filled with questions the children will ask their grandparents.
Invite families to come to the center to create grandparent boxes. Have parents help children create and decorate a box for each grandparent. Have the children, with the help of their parents, write questions they want to ask their grandparents and put the questions in the box. Encourage families to deliver their boxes to grandparents and listen to them answer the questions.
When grandparents live long distances from the grandchildren, the box can be shipped to the grandparents. If more convenient for mailing, a large envelope could be decorated with the questions inside. Grandchildren and grandparents could share the questions and stories by phone, email, or Skype.
You may choose questions from the following list or create some of your own:
- Tell a favorite memory of your father
- Tell about an experience or event that drew you as a couple together
- Where did you go swimming? How did you learn how to swim?
- Tell about the worst storm that you can remember as a child
- Tell about your first very own car
- Did you have or make a swing?
- Tell about some good advice your mother gave you
- Tell about some good advice your father gave you
- Tell about the kind of person your mother was
- Tell about the naughtiest thing you ever did
- Tell about your first favorite television shows
- Who was your first girlfriend (boyfriend)?
- Did you ever write something that you were really proud of?
- Is there anything you would do differently as a teenager?
- What would you like me to know about my Dad (Mom)?
- Tell me about the day I was born
- What qualities first attracted you to each other?
- How did you first meet each other?
- What was your first date?
- Tell me about your wedding day
- What is your happiest memory as a youth?
- Share your most unpleasant vacation experience
- Share your best vacation experience
- Tell me about the day my parent was born. How did you choose their name?
- What kind of work did you do at home as a child?
- What was your favorite time of year as a child?
- Describe your childhood home
- Describe a proud moment from your childhood
- What were some favorite songs from your childhood or youth?
- Who was the most famous person you met as a child?
- What was your favorite meal as a child?
- Tell about someone who had a big influence on your life
- Do you have some good advice for me?