What Am I Called to Do?
As a Young Women leader you are called to assist parents and priesthood leaders in guiding a young woman on the path to the temple.
In order to help the young women grow, you must be on the path-converted and growing spiritually yourself. As you do, you will be able to teach, influence, and lead young women to the temple by your righteous example.
As a Young Women leader, you will need to:
- Study the scriptures with young women in mind.
- Pray, ponder, be worthy, attend the temple, and listen for revelation.
- Be strictly obedient to the commandments and exemplify the standards in behavior, language, dress, and so on.
- Rejoice in the privilege to serve.
- Learn more about preparing yourself spiritually in Handbook 2: 3.2.1.
Participate in Councils
Psalm 55:14: "We took sweet counsel together, and walked unto the house of God in company."
As a member of a Young Women presidency, you participate in several councils. Young Women presidency meeting is a council. You teach class presidencies to counsel together in their meetings. As Young Women president, you are also called as a member of the ward council. When you participate in ward council, go having counseled together with your presidency so you may:
- Represent the needs of individual young women and their families to the council.
- Offer observations, concerns, and recommendations for consideration.
- Follow the direction of priesthood leaders.
- Learn more about counseling with others in Handbook 2: 3.2.2.
- Learn more about the ward council in Handbook 2: section 4.
Minister to Each Young Woman
3 Nephi 17:21: "And he took their little children, one by one, and blessed them, and prayed unto the Father for them."
Just as the Savior ministered one by one to His children, your leadership should be focused on helping each young woman progress from wherever she is on the path. As President Gordon B. Hinckley taught, "When you save a girl, you save generations" ("Our Responsibility to Our Young Women," Ensign, Sept. 1988, 8).
- Strive to retain each young woman; know, love, and recognize her individually.
- Strengthen each young woman's faith in Jesus Christ. Strengthen her in her family.
- Prepare each young woman for her future roles as wife, mother, homemaker, and leader.
- Gather young women to learn, lead, serve, and live gospel principles.
- Learn more about ministering to others in Handbook 2: 3.2.3.
Teach Young Women
D&C 109:7: "Seek learning even by study and also by faith."
Every leader is a teacher. Don't forget that the majority of a young woman's learning may be caught rather than taught. A Young Women leader is a role model and an example to those she serves. As young women watch you and how you live the gospel, they will learn what it means to be a faithful woman, wife, and mother.
- Learn more about teaching the gospel of Jesus Christ in Handbook 2: 3.2.4.
- Learn more about improving learning and teaching in the ward in 4Handbook 2: 12.5.
- President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, "The Influence of Righteous Women"
In addition to informal teaching by example, you will have the opportunity and responsibility to facilitate more formal learning through Sunday lessons. Engage young women in learning. Young women gather each Sunday to increase their gospel understanding, to recognize how the gospel answers their daily questions, to have opportunities to feel the Spirit, and to strengthen and share their testimonies. This happens as you invite young women to participate in the learning process and act upon that learning in their daily lives.
- Help each young woman know and apply the first principles and ordinances of the gospel: faith, repentance, baptism, and the gift of the Holy Ghost.
- Use the Book of Mormon and the words of latter-day prophets.
- Emphasize virtue, purity, worthiness, and the standards outlined in For the Strength of Youth.
- Teach the young women to receive, recognize, and rely on the Holy Ghost.
- See Elder David A. Bednar, "Watching with All Perseverance."
As you help young women take these steps, you will help them to the destination of the temple and back to our Heavenly Father—proven, pure, and sealed.
Administer the Young Women Program (See Handbook 2: 3.2.5)
There are several program tools available to assist you. Remember that your focus is the spiritual life of every young woman and her progress on the path to the temple. These programs and materials are your hiking equipment, the means by which you can help a young woman on her journey.