Messages from Leaders
- “Be a Shining Example” (August 2015 Friend)
Elder Bruce D. Porter shares stories of how his children were examples of faith, kindness, reading the scriptures, and courage.
- “Be a Shining Light!” (November 2015 Friend)
During the October 2015 general conference, President Thomas S. Monson taught some ways we can let our light shine and be a good example to those around us.
- “A Brother’s Example” (December 2005 Friend)
Elder Gene R. Cook tells about the powerful influence of his older brother’s example in re-activating his entire family.
- “Faithful Examples” (September 2013 Liahona and Friend)
Sister Jean A. Stevens shares a story about children in Hong Kong who were examples by paying their tithing.
- “How can I be a good example?” (July 2009 Friend)
Elder Cook offers four ways we can be good examples.
- “How can I be a witness of Jesus Christ?” (December 2012 Liahona and Friend)
Elder D. Todd Christofferson shares some thoughts on this subject.
- “How Can I Follow the Savior?” (December 2011 Liahona and Friend)
Elder Quentin L. Cook shares some ideas about following the Savior.
- “How to Treat Others” (September 2009 Liahona and Friend)
Elder Francisco J. Viñas tells how his parents’ example was a great heritage for his family.
- “How can I learn to be a good example?” (February 2015 Friend)
Elder Richard G. Scott shares thoughts on the subject.
- “Letters from Grandma Whittle” (February 2015 Friend and Liahona)
Read about how Elder Richard G. Scott’s grandmother was a good example to him.
- “Let Your Light Shine” (January 2018 Liahona and Friend)
President Thomas S. Monson teaches about letting our light shine.
- “Moroni and the Mechanic” (January 2018 Liahona and Friend)
Elder Claudio R. M. Costa shares a story of how his 6-year-old son was a good example by praying after their car broke down. Includes an activity.
- “Set upon a Hill” (July 2005 Liahona and Friend)
President Gordon B. Hinckley (1910–2008) teaches that we can be an example to the world if we live the standards of the Church.
- “A Shining Light” (December 2016 Friend)
President Thomas S. Monson encourages us to follow the Savior and become a shining light to the world. Includes a scripture matching activity.
- “Showing Love through Service” (February 2015 Friend)
President Monson learned to and gave service as a child. Includes activities on how we can give service.
- “Special Witness: ‘Follow Me’” (February 2004 Liahona and Friend)
Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin teaches about following the Savior.
- “Trying to Be Like Jesus” (May 2014 Friend)
President Eyring teaches of the Savior’s example. Includes a fill-in-the-blank and word search activity.
- “Ammon’s Good Example” (May 2016 Friend)
A retelling of the story of Ammon and the many people who were baptized because of his good example.
- “Being Brave” (January 2006 Liahona and Friend)
A girl stands up for a boy who is being bullied.
- “Daniel’s Example of Prayer” (March 2011 Liahonaand Friend)
Daniel shows his grandparents the importance of prayer. Includes a simple activity.
- “Drive-Thru Decision” (May 2012 Friend)
Jacob is a good example to his mother when she is tempted to buy lunch on the Sabbath.
- “Following Jesus: Be a Good Example” (March 2014 Friend)
Jesus taught his followers that they should be a good example. Includes two stories from children on how they were good examples.
- “Following Jesus: Be Helpful” (June 2014 Liahona and Friend)
- “A Friendly Experiment” (July 2006 Friend)
Children try an experiment to be good examples and it makes their family happier.
- “A Golden Example” (November 2011 Friend)
Esther G., from England, is an example of courage and diligence.
- “He Told Me, ‘No Way’” (July 2010 Liahona and Friend)
Chase is an example to his friend when he refuses to try beer.
- “A High-Five Example” (April 2018 Friend)
Lily K., age 10, shares how she was an example by giving high-fives to some students with disabilities at her school.
- “I Can Follow Jesus Christ’s Example” (July 2010 Liahona and Friend)
Includes an activity where children write how they will become more like Christ.
- “Jana’s Good Example” (February 2011 Friend)
A new girl in Primary shows her classmates how to be reverent and respectful at Church.
- “Just One Click” (July 2014 Friend)
A girl is faced with an uncomfortable media situation when her friends watch videos online.
- “Katie Finds a Way” (March 2014 Friend)
A girl is a good example by attending church even though the rest of her family doesn’t.
- “Little Brother, Big Example” (May 2012 Friend)
Sammy is a good example for his older brother Benjamin when he decides to help children affected by a disaster.
- “Luke the Leader” (July 2014 Friend)
When Luke’s friends wanted him to say a bad word, he makes silly words instead.
- “Matt and Mandy” (November 2015 Friend)
Mandy and her friend realize their part in the Primary program is important because they can be an example for the younger children.
- “Missing Michael” (October 2007 Liahona and Friend)
A young girl helps her inactive brother come back to Church.
- “Pop Quiz Champion” (March 2014 Friend) - English only
Niles is a good example by trying to do what the teacher asked when everyone else isn’t paying attention.
- “Question Corner: I want to be a good example to my friends. How can I help them make good choices?”(March 2016 Friend)
Several children provide answers to this question.
- “Rowdy to Reverent” (July 2015 Friend)
Larry learns he can set a good example for his friend at church.
- “The Secret Weapon” (January 2015 Friend and Liahona)
Adam learned the blessings of being kind.
- “Standing Up for Church” (February 2018 Liahona and Friend)
Easton and his friend give a presentation about the Church at their international school.
- “Take the Lead!” (September 2012 Friend)
Learn how children can lead in testimony, courage, kindness, caring, and example. Includes reminder cards to take the lead.
- “Those Words” (December 2011 Liahona and Friend)
Shelby’s friends learn to respect her for not using or wanting to hear bad language.
- “A True Friend” (June 2012 Liahona and Friend)
Melanie chooses to be a good example by encouraging her friend not to smoke.
- “Trying to be Like Jesus: My Decision to be Baptized”(April 2006 Liahona and Friend)
José tells of many ways he is trying to be a good example.
- “When I Grow Up…I Want to Be a Chef” (February 2015 Friend)
Brad Petersen says cooking food is a great way to be a missionary.
- “Be Thou an Example” (November 2010 Friend)
Decipher this code to find out how you can be an example.
- Family Home Evening Idea: Being Good Examples
Read “Set upon a Hill” (July 2009 Liahona and Friend) by President Gordon B. Hinckley (1910–2008) . Why does the temple remind him of a city set on a hill? How can we be like a city set on a hill? When we live righteously, we have the Holy Ghost with us and it shows in the way we act, look, and feel. Discuss ways to be good examples.
- Family Home Evening Idea: Example
Read “Treehouse” (August 2003 Friend). Have there ever been times when people around you were being disobedient and it was hard for you to be a good example? Discuss how Jordan reacts and how you could follow his example in similar situations.
- Family Home Evening Idea: Real Heroes
Invite a family member to read “Hero” (October 2005 Liahona and Friend). Discuss what it means to be a real hero. Give each family member a bookmark containing “My Gospel Standards” (October 2005 Liahona and Friend). Go through the standards. Would a person with the strength and courage to live those standards be a hero? Resolve to be such a person.
- “Let Your Light Shine” (October 2007 Friend)
A hidden word puzzle.
- “Sharing Time: I Can Share the Gospel Now”(November 2005 Friend)
Includes a printable box that reminds families how they can be missionaries now.
- “Sharing Time: Let Your Light Shine” (October 1999 Liahona and Friend)
Includes a printable puzzle about being a good example.
- “You Are Super!” (November 2016 Friend)
Cut out these reminders and quotes of how you can be super in different ways.
- Music: “Choose the Right Way” (Children’s Songbook,160)
- Music: “Dare to Do Right” (Children’s Songbook, 158)
- Music: “I Am like a Star” (Children’s Songbook, 163)
- Music: “I’ll Walk with You” (Children’s Songbook, 140)
- Music: “I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus” (Children’s Songbook, 78)
- Music: “I Want to Live the Gospel” (Children’s Songbook, 148)
- Music: “Jesus Once Was a Little Child” (Children’s Songbook, 55)
- Music: “Jesus Said Love Everyone” (Children’s Songbook, 61)
- Music: “Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam” (Children’s Songbook, 60)
- Music: “Light the World with Love” (January 2018 Friend)
- Music: “Love Is Spoken Here” (Children’s Songbook, 190)
- Music: “Love One Another” (Children’s Songbook, 136)
- Music: “Do As I’m Doing” (Children’s Songbook, 276)
- Music: “Shine On” (Children’s Songbook, 144)
- Music: “Stand for the Right” (Children’s Songbook, 159)
- Music: “When We’re Helping” (Children’s Songbook,198)
- Music (simplified): “I Am Like a Star” (September 2018 Friend)
- Video: Bible Videos, “Parable of the Good Samaritan”
- Video: Bible Videos, “The Baptism of Jesus”
- Video: For Little Friends, “Andrew’s Example”
Andrew learns to be a good example to his younger sister.
- Video: Matt and Mandy, “Good Examples”
Matt and Mandy follow their parents’ examples.
- Video: “A Mother’s Hope”
President Dieter F. Uchtdorf shares the faithful example of his mother.
- Video: “Book of Mormon Stories, Chapter 30: Alma Counsels His Sons”
- Video: “Book of Mormon Stories, Chapter 47: Jesus Christ Blesses His Disciples”
- Video: For Little Friends, “Just Like the Bishop”
Bobby follows the Bishop’s example.
- Video: Mormon Messages, “Have I Done Any Good in the World Today?”
- Video: New Testament Stories, “Chapter 10: Jesus Is Baptized”
- Video: New Testament Stories, “Chapter 20: Jesus Teaches about Prayer”
- Video: New Testament Stories, “Chapter 35: The Good Samaritan”
- Video: One in a Million, “Anne Marie”
In the hospital, Anne Marie followed Jesus’s example by helping another sick child.
- Video: One in a Million: “Emily, Texas, USA”
Emily tries to be a good example to her three little sisters.
- Video: One in a Million: “Esther, Essex, England”
Esther is glad she could be an example to other children.
- Video: “Pass It On”
President Thomas S. Monson speaking to children.