Messages from Leaders
- “Fasting for Vanuatu!” (September 2015 Friend)
President Henry B. Eyring was moved by hearing of the storm damaged island of Vanuatu to pay his fast offering early so it might help the hungry, homeless and lonely.
- “Fasting for a Prophet” (July 2017 Liahona and Friend)
A story about a girl named Silioti and how she fasted for President Spencer W. Kimball in 1981.
- “Fasting for Shem” (July 2013 Friend)
When Tim is worried about his friend Shem in the hospital, he decides to pray and fast for him.
- “The Fast-Offering Dime” (February 2011 Friend)
Ross prays to find the dime that he lost while collecting fast offerings.
- “Heavenly Father Answers My Prayers” (July 2015 Friend and Liahona)
George tells of the times Heavenly Father has answered his prayers.
- “Jake’s Miracle” (October 2007 Friend)
Jake’s ward members fast and pray for him to get better.
- “Praying for David” (June 2011 Friend)
John fasts and prays for his brother, who needs surgery.
- Question Corner: “How do I know when I’m old enough to start fasting?” (July 2017 Friend)
- “What Are Fast Offerings?” (June 2005 Liahona and Friend)
A simple explanation of fast offerings.
- Family Home Evening Idea: Fasting for Special Blessings
Ask a parent about a time they fasted for special blessings. Read “Fasting for a Prophet” and “Question Corner” (July 2017 Liahona and Friend). What was it like when you fasted? Or talk with your family about when to start fasting.
- “I Choose the Right by Living Gospel Principles” (July 2012 Liahona and Friend)
The sons of Mosiah and Alma fasted and prayed to receive blessings from God. Includes instructions for decorating a rock as a prayer reminder.
- “Esther Saves Her People” (September 1998 Friend)
A retelling of the scripture story—including how Esther asked that her people fast and pray three days for her. Includes visual aids to cut out and color.
- Book of Mormon Stories, “Chapter 19: The Sons of Mosiah Become Missionaries”
The four sons of Mosiah fast and pray that they will be good missionaries.
- New Testament Stories, “Chapter 11: Jesus is Tempted”
The devil comes to Jesus as He is fasting and tempts Him three times.
- Old Testament Story, “Chapter 45: Esther”
Esther saves her people by revealing wicked Haman’s plan.
- Old Testament Visual Resources, “For Such a Time As This”
Esther stands up for her people to King Ahasuerus through the faith and fasting of Mordecai and the Jews.