Messages from Leaders
- “The Aquanaut Badge” (January 2017 Friend)
Corwin B., age 11, shares how faith, prayer, and practice helped him when he was afraid to get a swimming activity badge.
- “A Baptismal Blessing” (June 2013 Liahona and Friend)
Trevor is afraid of going underwater as he prepares to be baptized.
- “Brave Enough?” (October 2016 Friend)
Christine is afraid at night, but she learns that being brave sometimes means asking for help.
- “Ella’s Worries” (May 2017 Friend)
Ella is worried about a lot of things and feels like Heavenly Father is not answering her prayers, but then she talks to her dad who gets her the help she needs.
- “Fear in the Night” (May 2000 Friend)
Garrett is afraid after hearing all the bad things on the news. He asks his dad for a blessing to help him feel better.
- “Finding the Way Back” (October 2011 Friend)
Timmy is scared after he gets left on the playground alone at school.
- “Jesus at My Bedside” (December 2014 Friend)
A boy finds comfort and peace from the Savior after being afraid in bed.
- “Jesus Calms the Tempest” (September 2013 Liahona and Friend)
A retelling for young children about Jesus calming a terrible storm. Includes a coloring page.
- “Juliana Gives a Talk” (February 2015 Friend)
Juliana is scared to give a talk in Primary, but she prays for Heavenly Father to help her.
- “The Light of the World” (December 2012 Liahona and Friend)
Erin is scared after a classmate dies in a car accident, but a Nativity program reminds her that we can all live again because of Jesus Christ.
- “Matt and Mandy” (November 2012 Friend)
Matt, Mandy, and their mom are scared when their car gets caught in heavy fog.
- “Monsters in the Closet” (October 2013 Friend)
Abby prays to not be afraid of her family’s coat closet, which she thinks is full of monsters.
- “Moresby the Brave” (September 2017 Friend)
A little boy is nervous about his first day of school, but he is brave and makes a new friend.
- “Night Fright” (May 2012 Friend)
A boy prays to feel peace when he wakes up in the night and is afraid of noises outside his window.
- “The Opposite of Fear” (January 2007 Liahona and Friend)
Tricia prays after she is afraid in the night.
- “A Plan for Our Family” (January 2013 Liahona and Friend)
A boy is worried when his sister is born premature, but he learns to appreciate the power of priesthood and the plan of salvation.
- “A Prayer in the Attic” (February 2015 Friend)
Renate is afraid soldiers will find her family, but they are miraculously undiscovered.
- “Queen Esther Saves Jehovah’s People” (August 2010 Liahona and Friend)
The story of Queen Esther saving the Jewish people from destruction.
- “Shadows on the Wall” (June 2010 Liahona and Friend)
A girl finds comfort in Christ when she is scared during the night.
- “Tornado!” (September 2014 Friend)
Owen comes up with an idea to help his family feel less scared while tornados are near their house.
- “Ty’s Courage” (February 2014 Friend)
A boy is afraid when he has to have surgery but finds courage through prayer and the Holy Ghost.
- Family Home Evening Idea: Overcoming Fears
Read “The Opposite of Fear” (January 2007 Liahona and Friend). What kinds of fears do you have? No matter what they are, you can find comfort in the Savior. Read Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin’s “How can I have faith when the world seems so scary?” to find some inspiring thoughts on overcoming fear (January 2007 Liahona and Friend). As a family, memorize the last three sentences by chanting them together. Repeat these words to yourself whenever you feel afraid.
- Family Home Evening Idea: Receiving Comfort
Talk as a family about how to receive comfort during scary times. Read “How can I keep from being afraid when scary things happen in the world?” (September 2012 Friend) and discuss the ways Elder Russell M. Nelson advises to replace fear with peace.