- “A Pioneer Message” (March 2010 Friend)
Solve the message by finding out what each pioneer has in common with another.
- “Create Your Own Handcart” (July 2008 Liahona and Friend)
Instructions and illustrations to create a paper handcart and pioneers to put in it.
- Family Home Evening Idea: Faith like the Pioneers
Find a wagon, a wheelbarrow, or another kind of cart to pull. Go on a walk with your family and take turns pulling the cart. You could pack a sack lunch in your cart and have a picnic after the walk. As you walk, talk about the story “Family Faith” (July 2007 Liahona and Friend) and discuss the faith the Jarvis family must have had. During your picnic, talk about ways you can show faith as the pioneers did.
- Family Home Evening Idea: Following the Pioneers
Read about the Martin Handcart Company in “Heroes in the Snow” (November 2006 Friend). We may not face the trials that Peter overcame, but we can follow his example of faith. Use a box to represent a handcart and have family members fill it with objects symbolizing things of spiritual value—scriptures, a journal, a compass. Describe what each of these things means to you and how it will help you through trials during your mortal journey.
- “Gathering to Zion” (July 2007 Friend and Liahona)
Cut out pictures of pioneers and put them on a map based on how they got to Zion.
- “Going West” (July 2009 Liahona and Friend)
Answer these questions about the pioneers by looking up the scriptures.
- “Handcart Pioneers” (July 2006 Friend)
Find the differences between these two pictures of handcart pioneers.
- “Heading West” (June 2007 Friend)
A board game to gather pioneer supplies before the trek west.
- “I Can Draw Pioneer Pictures” (June 2000 Liahona)
Step by step line drawings of a wagon, the Salt Lake Temple, and a seagull.
- “Marshmallow Covered Wagon” (July 2007 Friend)
- “Mormon Pioneers” (July 1985 Friend)
A word search using pioneer vocabulary.
- “Pioneer Children” (July 2012 Friend)
Use the clues on the wagon to find out what children did as they walked to the Salt Lake Valley.
- “Pioneer Children Woven Picture” (July 2003 Liahona and Friend)
Weave a picture showing the experience of the pioneer children.
- “Pioneer Covered Wagon” (July 2001 Friend)
Instructions and illustrations to make a covered wagon from paper.
- “Pioneer Handcart” (July 2005 Friend)
Make a handcart from a juice box, two plastic lids, and a straw.
- “Pioneer Maze” (May 2011 Friend)
Help the pioneers make it to their home.
- “Pioneer Maze” (May 2005 Friend)
- “Pioneer Hidden Pictures” (July 2010 Friend)
Find hidden items in this picture of a pioneer family pulling a handcart.
- “Pioneer Message” (July 2011 Friend)
Cross off words in this list to find out what the pioneer girl is saying.
- “Pioneer Pudding” (July 2011 Friend)
Recipe to make pudding.
- “Pioneer Puzzle Game” (July 2004 Friend)
Move around the board and answer questions about pioneers while assembling a puzzle.
- “Pioneer Recipes” (July 1975 Friend)
Includes recipes for buttermilk doughnuts, apple candy, bread and milk, old-fashioned muffins, horseshoe cookies, johnnycake, washboard cookies, toasted spice cake and pioneer hardtack.
- “Pioneer Trek” (July 2010 Liahona and Friend)
A maze-like activity to help pioneers get to their home.
- “Pioneer Wagons” (September 1997 Friend)
Put the correct description with different parts of a wagon.
- “Ship’s Biscuits, Lime Water, an Shipshape Sandwiches” (July 2007 Friend)
Eat like the pioneers did on their long sea voyages.
- “This Is the Right Place” (February 2014 Friend)
Find the hidden objects in this illustration of Brigham Young arriving in the Salt Lake Valley.
- “Waiting at Martin’s Cove” (November 2013 Friend)
Solve this puzzle to find out what the pioneers needed to do during their hard journey.
- “Weave a Pioneer Picture” (July 2003 Liahona and Friend)
Weave pieces of paper together to complete this pioneer picture.
- Image Collection: Historical
Includes some pictures of objects associated with pioneers.
- Image Collection: Mormon Handcart Historical Site
- Image Collection: Pioneer
- Music: “Covered Wagons” (Children’s Songbook, 221)
- Music: “Little Pioneer Children” (Children’s Songbook, 216)
- Music: “Pioneer Children Sang as They Walked” (Children’s Songbook, 214)
- Music: “Pioneer Children Were Quick to Obey” (Children’s Songbook, 215)
- Music: “The Handcart Song” (Children’s Songbook, 220)
- Music: “The Oxcart” (Children’s Songbook, 219)
- Music: “To Be a Pioneer” (Children’s Songbook, 218)
- Music: “Westward Ho!” (Children’s Songbook, 217)
- Music: “Whenever I Think about Pioneers” (Children’s Songbook, 222)
- Poem: “Song of a Pioneer Boy” (July 2001 Friend)
- Primary Symbols, “Pioneers: Children Pulling Handcart”
- Sheet Music: “Pioneer Children” (July 1978 Friend)
- Sheet Music: “Pioneers Courageous” (July 1997 Friend)
- Sheet Music: “The Strength of a Pioneer” (January 1997 Friend)
- Verse: “The Seagulls” (July 2011 Friend)
A poem about how seagulls saved the pioneers’ crops.
- Video: Doctrine and Covenants Stories, “Chapter 60: The Saints Leave Nauvoo (September 1845–September 1865)”
- Video: Doctrine and Covenants Stories, “Chapter 62: The Saints Establish Winter Quarters (1846–1847)”
- Video: Doctrine and Covenants Stories, “Chapter 63: The Pioneers Go to the Salt Lake Valley (April–July 1847)”
- Video: Doctrine and Covenants Stories, “Chapter 64: The Saints in the Rocky Mountains (Beginning in July 1847)”
- Video: “Faith of Our Fathers”
Excerpt from a talk by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf.
- Video: “LDS Filmmaker Brings Stories of Early Saints to Life”
- Video: “Pioneers”
Elder Dallin H. Oaks speaks of modern-day pioneers.
- Video: “Reviewing the Lessons of the Past”
Excerpt from a talk by Elder L. Tom Perry.