- “Acting Like Pioneers” (July 2004 Friend)
The Primary children from Sandy, Utah, learned about the pioneers when they performed in a play for their ward.
- “Anna’s Journey Part 1–Leaving Home” (July 2015 Friend and Liahona)
Anna traveled from Sweden to Utah as an early pioneer.
- “Anna’s Journey, Part 2: A Prayer in the Night” (August 2015 Friend)
Anna’s prayer was answered in an unexpected way.
- “Children Pioneers” (July 1995 Friend)
A narrative based on the journal of one of the pioneer children detailing what it was like on the pioneer trek from a child’s point of view.
- “A Different Kind of Pioneer” (July 2001 Friend)
A fictional story about a boy from a convert family who has to give a talk about pioneers in his family.
- “The Ducks’ New Clothes” (July 2016 Friend)
A funny story about a pioneer family who made clothes for their ducks after their feathers were plucked.
- “The early pioneers lived long ago. What can I learn from them?” (July 2012 Liahona and Friend)
Elder L. Tom Perry of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles shares some thoughts on this subject.
- “Faith in Every Footstep” (August 2006 Liahona and Friend)
President James E. Faust shares a story about a pioneer man named Thomas Giles and teaches that joy can be ours if we are willing to sacrifice our all for the Lord.
- “Gathering to Zion” (July 2007 Friend and Liahona)
A description of how different pioneers travelled to gather with the saints. Includes an activity.
- “Handcart Girl” (October1997 Friend)
A story from the life of a pioneer girl in the Willie Handcart Company.
- “Heroes in the Snow—The Martin Handcart Company” (November 2006 Friend)
The story of six-year-old Peter McBride and his experience in the Martin Handcart Company.
- “Horseradish Heroes” (November 2011 Friend)
Two pioneer boys discover some plants they can use for food and medicine.
- “Journey of Miracles” (July 2017 Liahona and Friend)
Mary leads her siblings and sick father across the plains to Utah. Part 2 of “The Way to Zion” series.
- “Margaret McNeil’s Great Escape” (August 2007 Friend)
A story about the faith of a pioneer girl and how it saved her from a dangerous place on the prairie.
- “Martin’s Cove” (November 2013 Friend)
Learn more about this place and the pioneers who stayed there.
- “Mary’s Promise” (June 2017 Friend)
In 1862, Mary promises her stepmother that she will get their family to Zion. Part 1 of “The Way to Zion” series.
- “Matt and Mandy” (July 2007 Friend)
Matt learns about the pioneers while hiking and how he has his own mountains to climb.
- “Pioneer Day in Tahiti” (July 2011 Liahona and Friend)
Description of some celebrations of Pioneer Day in Tahiti.
- “Pioneer Games” (June 1990 Liahona and February 1989 Friend)
Description of a typical pioneer school and games the children would play.
- “Pioneer Night” (July 2017 Friend)
Benjamin and his family learn about some of their pioneer ancestors, do pioneer activities, and eat pioneer-themed food for their family night.
- “Pioneer Parasols” (July 2010 Liahona and Friend)
Pioneer girls trade their most prized possessions for food for their family.
- “Pioneer Sacrifices” (July 2002 Friend)
Elder M. Russell Ballard shares a story recorded in his great-grandmother’s journal as she crossed the plains.
- “Pioneer Trip” (July 2005 Friend)
A rebus story about a boy who goes on a trip to learn about the pioneers.
- “Pioneers and Temples” (July 2002 Friend)
An explanation of the relationship between pioneers and temples. Includes a map with the first temples from around the world.
- “A Priceless Heritage” (July 2016 Friend)
President Henry B. Eyring shares a story about one of his ancestors who joined the Church in 1855. Includes a simple activity.
- “A Priceless Heritage” (September 2002 Friend)
President James E. Faust tells the story of two children who died as part of the Willie Handcart Company.
- “A Prophet’s Pledge” (July 2010 Liahona and Friend)
President Monson talks about his pioneer ancestors. Includes space to draw a modern pioneer.
- “Saving the Wheat” (July 2012 Friend)
During the time of Brigham Young, Neil and his family pray for a miracle to save their wheat crop.
- “The Seagulls” (July 2011 Friend)
A poem about the pioneer experience with the seagulls and the crickets.
- “This Is the Place!” (December 2013 Liahona and Friend)
Elise and Kyle explore a replica pioneer village.
- “This Is the Place” (July 2006 Liahona and Friend)
Story from the life of President Wilford Woodruff when then pioneers first entered the Salt Lake Valley.
- “What’s a Pioneer?” (June 2008 Friend)
Amelia learns about what being a pioneer means.
- “Where’s Arthur?” (May 2004 Friend)
A true story about a pioneer boy who got lost on the trail and was later found.
- “You Must Choose for Yourself” (February 2005 Liahona and Friend)
The story of a girl from England who made the decision to join the Church and go with her family to America instead of being adopted by a wealthy aunt and uncle.
- “Create Your Own Handcart” (July 2008 Liahona and Friend)
Instructions and illustrations to create a paper handcart and pioneers to put in it.
- “Family History Mystery: Pioneers” (June 2015 Friend)
Who was the first person baptized in your family? What was the story?
- Family Home Evening Idea: Faith like the Pioneers
Find a wagon, a wheelbarrow, or another kind of cart to pull. Go on a walk with your family and take turns pulling the cart. You could pack a sack lunch in your cart and have a picnic after the walk. As you walk, talk about the story “Family Faith” (July 2007 Liahona and Friend) and discuss the faith the Jarvis family must have had. During your picnic, talk about ways you can show faith as the pioneers did.
- Family Home Evening Idea: Following the Pioneers
Read about the Martin Handcart Company in “Heroes in the Snow” (November 2006 Friend). We may not face the trials that Peter overcame, but we can follow his example of faith. Use a box to represent a handcart and have family members fill it with objects symbolizing things of spiritual value—scriptures, a journal, a compass. Describe what each of these things means to you and how it will help you through trials during your mortal journey.
- Family Night Fun: “Pioneers” (July 2017 Friend)
Have your own pioneer family night! Try one of these activities to help celebrate the pioneers. Includes a recipe for marshmallow covered wagons.
- “Gathering to Zion” (July 2007 Friend and Liahona)
Cut out pictures of pioneers and put them on a map based on how they got to Zion.
- “Going West” (July 2009 Liahona and Friend)
Answer these questions about the pioneers by looking up the scriptures.
- “Handcart Pioneers” (July 2006 Friend)
Find the differences between these two pictures of handcart pioneers.
- “Heading West” (June 2007 Friend)
A board game to gather pioneer supplies before the trek west.
- “I Can Draw Pioneer Pictures” (June 2000 Liahona)
Step by step line drawings of a wagon, the Salt Lake Temple, and a seagull.
- “Log Cabin” (November 2016 Friend)
Find the hidden objects in this illustration of a pioneer family celebrating the completion of their new log cabin.
- “Marshmallow Covered Wagon” (July 2007 Friend)
- “Mormon Pioneers” (July 1985 Friend)
A word search using pioneer vocabulary.
- “Pioneer Children” (July 2012 Friend)
Use the clues on the wagon to find out what children did as they walked to the Salt Lake Valley.
- “Pioneer Children Woven Picture” (July 2003 Liahona and Friend)
Weave a picture showing the experience of the pioneer children.
- “Pioneer Covered Wagon” (July 2001 Friend)
Instructions and illustrations to make a covered wagon from paper.
- “Pioneer Fun” (July 2015 Friend)
Cup-and-ball game pioneer children used to play.
- “Pioneer Handcart” (July 2005 Friend)
Make a handcart from a juice box, two plastic lids, and a straw.
- “Pioneer Hidden Pictures” (July 2010 Friend)
Find hidden items in this picture of a pioneer family pulling a handcart.
- “Pioneer Maze” (May 2011 Friend)
Help the pioneers make it to their home.
- “Pioneer Maze” (May 2005 Friend)
- “Pioneer Message” (July 2011 Friend)
Cross off words in this list to find out what the pioneer girl is saying.
- “A Pioneer Message” (March 2010 Friend)
Solve the message by finding out what each pioneer has in common with another.
- “Pioneer Pudding” (July 2011 Friend)
Recipe to make pudding.
- “Pioneer Puzzle Game” (July 2004 Friend)
Move around the board and answer questions about pioneers while assembling a puzzle.
- “Pioneer Puzzlers” (July 2016 Friend)
Here are pictures of some objects from the 1800s. What do you think these were?
- “Pioneer Recipes” (July 1975 Friend)
Includes recipes for buttermilk doughnuts, apple candy, bread and milk, old-fashioned muffins, horseshoe cookies, johnnycake, washboard cookies, toasted spice cake and pioneer hardtack.
- “Pioneer Trek” (July 2010 Liahona and Friend)
A maze-like activity to help pioneers get to their home.
- “Pioneer Wagons” (September 1997 Friend)
Put the correct description with different parts of a wagon.
- “Pioneers around the World” (July 2015 Friend)
Unscramble names of countries and match them to the flags.
- “Ship’s Biscuits, Lime Water, an Shipshape Sandwiches” (July 2007 Friend)
Eat like the pioneers did on their long sea voyages.
- “This Is the Right Place” (February 2014 Friend)
Find the hidden objects in this illustration of Brigham Young arriving in the Salt Lake Valley.
- “Waiting at Martin’s Cove” (November 2013 Friend)
Solve this puzzle to find out what the pioneers needed to do during their hard journey.
- “Weave a Pioneer Picture” (July 2003 Liahona and Friend)
Weave pieces of paper together to complete this pioneer picture.
- Image Collection: Historical
Includes some pictures of objects associated with pioneers.
- Image Collection: Mormon Handcart Historical Site
- Image Collection: Pioneer
- Music: “Covered Wagons” (Children’s Songbook, 221)
- Music: “Little Pioneer Children” (Children’s Songbook, 216)
- Music: “Pioneer Children Sang as They Walked” (Children’s Songbook, 214)
- Music: “Pioneer Children Were Quick to Obey” (Children’s Songbook, 215)
- Music: “The Handcart Song” (Children’s Songbook, 220)
- Music: “The Oxcart” (Children’s Songbook, 219)
- Music: “To Be a Pioneer” (Children’s Songbook, 218)
- Music: “Westward Ho!” (Children’s Songbook, 217)
- Music: “Whenever I Think about Pioneers” (Children’s Songbook, 222)
- Poem: “Song of a Pioneer Boy” (July 2001 Friend)
- Primary Symbols, “Pioneers: Children Pulling Handcart”
- Sheet Music: “Pioneer Children” (July 1978 Friend)
- Sheet Music: “Pioneers Courageous” (July 1997 Friend)
- Sheet Music: “The Strength of a Pioneer” (January 1997 Friend)
- Sheet Music: “When I Hear of Pioneer Children” (July 2016 Liahona and Friend)
- Verse: “The Seagulls” (July 2011 Friend)
A poem about how seagulls saved the pioneers’ crops.
- Video: Doctrine and Covenants Stories, “Chapter 60: The Saints Leave Nauvoo (September 1845–September 1865)”
- Video: Doctrine and Covenants Stories, “Chapter 62: The Saints Establish Winter Quarters (1846–1847)”
- Video: Doctrine and Covenants Stories, “Chapter 63: The Pioneers Go to the Salt Lake Valley (April–July 1847)”
- Video: Doctrine and Covenants Stories, “Chapter 64: The Saints in the Rocky Mountains (Beginning in July 1847)”
- Video: “Faith of Our Fathers”
Excerpt from a talk by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf.
- Video: “LDS Filmmaker Brings Stories of Early Saints to Life”
- Video: “Pioneers”
Elder Dallin H. Oaks speaks of modern-day pioneers.
- Video: “Reviewing the Lessons of the Past”
Excerpt from a talk by Elder L. Tom Perry.