BYUtv to Air Making of King James Bible Documentary
- 16 October 2011
On October 16, 2011, BYUtv will air the first U.S. television film series on the making of the King James Bible, coinciding with the 400th anniversary of its translation into English.
The three-part series, Fires of Faith: The Coming Forth of the King James Bible, follows the complex history of the book—the sacrifice of countless people to bring it to pass, its violent beginnings, changes over time, and its influence the world over today. At the forefront of the history is British religious scholar William Tyndale, who was responsible for the original translations that make up more than 80 percent of the Bible’s text.
To create this documentary, more than 130 reenactments were filmed in eight countries at many of the actual sites where the original events took place—from a fourth-century monastery in Israel to an 800-year-old English castle to a 500-year-old European church.
Commentary by 18 international scholars and religious leaders throughout the film reveal differing perspectives while still confirming that the King James Bible’s influence is immeasurable.
“Few milestones in history have had greater influence and significance than the translation of the Bible into English,” said Derek Marquis, executive producer of Fires of Faith and managing director of BYUtv. “The director, writer, actors, scholars and religious leaders in our film combined to create an extraordinary chorus that transcends any one religion to truly celebrate the most influential book of all time.”
Producer and director Lee Groberg agreed, saying, “Without exception, every person who contributed to this film—regardless of their own particular beliefs or background—was inspired to help us turn back the visual clock and authentically convey the events. … We focused on even the smallest details in order to inspire the cast and enable the viewers to feel as if they’re witnessing history.”
Fires of Faith: The Coming Forth of the King James Bible will premiere on October 16, 2011, on BYUtv, which is a U.S. and worldwide cable/satellite television channel that reaches 60 million households.
Specific air times are as follows:
Part 1 Fires of Faith: Yearning for the Word
- Sunday, October 16: 8:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. eastern daylight time/ 6:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. mountain daylight time
- Wednesday, October 19: 9:00 p.m. and midnight, eastern daylight time/7:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. mountain daylight time
Part 2 Fires of Faith: Martyrs for a Book
- Sunday, October 23: 8:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. eastern daylight time/6:00 p.m. 9:00 p.m. mountain daylight time
- Wednesday, October 26: 9:00 p.m. and midnight eastern daylight time/7:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. mountain daylight time
Part 3 Fires of Faith: The King James Bible
- Sunday, October 30: 8:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. eastern daylight time/6:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. mountain daylight time
- Wednesday, November 2: 9:00 p.m. and midnight eastern standard time/7:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. mountain standard time
The series will also be available on demand on BYUtv.