The Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square will present their annual concert held in conjunction with community-wide Pioneer Day celebrations. This year’s concert will feature up-and-coming Latter-day Saint artists Lindsey Stirling and Nathan Pacheco. The concert will be held on Friday and Saturday, July 19 and 20, at 8:00 p.m. in the Conference Center and will be conducted by Mack Wilberg, music director of the choir.
The concert will open with a salute to the Mormon pioneers who settled the Salt Lake Valley. The concert repertoire will include songs by Pacheco, both with the choir and solo accompanied by the orchestra. Miss Stirling will also be highlighted with her own unique combination of musicianship and dancing, performing with the choir and orchestra. The choir and orchestra will perform popular selections featured on their June tour through the upper Midwest of the United States.
Any classification of Lindsey Stirling as an artist risks oversimplification. Stirling, a classically-trained violinist, is famous for combining the melodic sounds of the violin with the dynamic energy of hip-hop—all while dancing! Although Stirling first came to the public’s attention in 2010 as a quarter-finalist on NBC’s America’s Got Talent, she is best known for her YouTube channel (youtube.com/lindseystomp), which has nearly 2.5 million subscribers. Her videos have been viewed more than 300 million times. Stirling recently finished a 55-city tour of Europe, Canada, and the U.S. As a self-proclaimed “hip-hop violinist,” Lindsey Stirling may be the first hip-hop artist to ever perform in the Conference Center. Her self-titled album was released in 2012.
Hailed as “the voice of a new generation,” Tenor Nathan Pacheco is on the brink of what is anticipated to be an illustrious career. He is a versatile vocalist, performing both pop and opera with a rare combination of power and grace. Pacheco got his first big break in 2009 when he was invited to be a featured performer with pianist and composer Yanni on the “Voices” tour of the U.S, Canada, and Mexico. In 2012, he joined Katherine Jenkins on her UK tour with the London Symphony Orchestra. He has also performed for Prince Charles at the British Embassy in Washington D.C., on two PBS television specials, and in the ABC/Disney Parks Christmas Parade. Pacheco also released his own self-titled debut album in 2012.
- Free tickets are required for this event. There is a limit of four (4) tickets per person.
- Tickets will be available on a first-come, first-served basis starting on Tuesday, June 11, at 10:00 a.m., or by calling 801-570-0080 (locally) or outside Salt Lake City at 1-866-LDS-TIKS during regular ticket office business hours (M–F, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.).
- Seating will be general admission by section
- Patrons without tickets are invited to stand by for last-minute seating each evening. The standby line will form at the North Gate on Temple Square.
- Tickets are required for this event. Those with tickets should be in their seats 30 minutes before the event start time.
- Those attending the production should consider traffic congestion, plan to arrive early, and park in designated parking areas only.
- Parking at the Conference Center will not be available for this event.
- For this event in the Conference Center, admission is open to those ages eight (8) and older.
- Ambulatory seating is available. Patrons who require such seating should inform the ticket office when they obtain tickets or inform Guest Services when they arrive at the event.
- Patrons should not bring cameras or audio or video recording devices into the performance halls. Photographs are not permitted during the performance.
- Sunday dress is encouraged.
- Patrons should turn off pagers, cellular phones, and similar electronic devices during the performance.
- Food and beverages are not permitted in performance halls.
- Patrons may not bring packages or backpacks into performance halls.
- The Conference Center doors will open 90 minutes before the performance start time.
- The length of the performance is approximately 90 minutes.