2016 Mutual Theme Resources Help Youth “Press Forward”
Contributed By Camille West, LDS.org Church News
“The message to ‘press forward with a steadfastness in Christ’ is a timely one. We are encouraged to trust in the things we know are true and keep moving forward with faith, hope, and love.” —Bonnie L. Oscarson, Young Women general president
Resources for the 2016 Mutual theme, “press forward with a steadfastness in Christ” (see 2 Nephi 31:20), are now available on youth.lds.org. New this year are additional helps for tying the theme to what the youth are learning each month in Come, Follow Me.
According to Bonnie L. Oscarson, Young Women general president, “The message to ‘press forward with a steadfastness in Christ’ is a timely one. We are encouraged to trust in the things we know are true and keep moving forward with faith, hope, and love.”
To help teachers and leaders better introduce, teach, and help youth apply the Mutual theme year-round, several materials will be created each month to tie the theme with Come, Follow Me lessons.
For example, in February, youth will learn about the plan of salvation in priesthood quorums and Sunday School and Young Women classes. Articles, videos, and other resources will be published throughout the month on youth.lds.org and social media that will show how understanding the plan of salvation can help youth press forward through the challenges of life.
“We hope the monthly resources will help leaders and youth focus more on the theme, make it more relevant to what the youth are learning in church, and help them apply it to their lives throughout the year,” said Fernando Camilo, a product manager in the Church’s Priesthood and Family Department.
2016 Mutual theme resources
Find the following resources for teaching the Mutual theme on youth.lds.org:
- Mutual theme video. The video (see above) shows youth pressing forward with faith in Christ through the challenges of life.
- 11-song music album. The 2016 theme album was created for youth by youth. Themes range from building a stronger relationship with Jesus Christ to how families help us get through life’s challenges. The album will be available for download on youth.lds.org and, for the first time, it will soon be on major music streaming platforms such as Pandora, Spotify, and Apple Music.
- Mutual theme art. The design reminds and encourages youth to “press forward with a steadfastness in Christ” along the covenant path.
- T-shirt designs. FSY conferences, youth conferences, and other ward and stake events may use the design for T-shirts.
Resources coming throughout the year
Additional resources for teaching the theme will be made available in Church magazines, on social media accounts, and on LDS.org throughout 2016:
- Face to Face event. In January, Elder Ronald A. Rasband of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles; Brother Owen, Young Men general president; and Sister Oscarson will discuss the theme and answer questions from youth around the world. The 2016 theme song will also be performed.
- Musical performances. Special performances of music related to the theme, including songs from the album, will be released throughout the year.
- More animated videos. Episodes from the new animated video series for youth will be published each month on various Church social media sites.
- Social media. The LDS Youth Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram accounts (in English, Spanish, and Portuguese) will publish videos, stories, and other content related to the theme each month.
- Quote posters. Each month shareable quote posters will be published on youth.lds.org and on social media sites.
- #PressForward. When posting or searching for content related to the 2016 Mutual theme, please use the hashtag #PressForward.