Accidents Claim Lives of Two Missionaries

Contributed By By Ryan Morgenegg, Church News staff writer

  • 17 October 2013

"We unite our prayers and love in behalf of their families, friends, and missionary companions." —Ruth Todd, spokeswoman for the Church

Two missionaries have died in separate accidents. Elder Colt Daniel Kunz, age 20, from Victor, Idaho, died Wednesday, October 9, while serving in the Mexico Tampico Mission. Elder Andrew Edward Page, age 18, from Charlotte, North Carolina, died Thursday, October 10, while serving in the California Arcadia Mission.

Elder Kunz died from injuries sustained after coming in contact with a live electrical wire. His father and stake president, Ryan M. Kunz from the Driggs Idaho Stake, said, “He loved sports. He enjoyed basketball and running cross country.

”He was the baby of 10 children and just an all-around good young man. Colt was an Eagle Scout and learned to speak Spanish. He studied a semester at BYU–Idaho and was leaning toward becoming a dentist. His mission president met with him last week and commented on how well his Spanish was coming along.

“Colt's one desire was to be a full-time missionary. He was in the mission field about two months.”

Elder Kunz died October 9 while serving in the Mexico Tampico Mission. Photo courtesy of Kunz family.

Elder Page died October 10 while serving in the California Arcadia Mission.




Elder Page died from injuries received when his bicycle was hit by a vehicle. President Bryant A. Baker from the Charlotte North Carolina Central Stake said, “He was a very smart and intelligent young man with a fun sense of humor.

”He took on a lot of responsibility as a priesthood leader in his home when his father passed away four years ago. He has a mother and three sisters. As soon as the Church lowered the age for missionary service, he was one of the first to get his papers started. Without a father, he took on a lot of responsibilities. His family worked closely together to make things work.

“His mission president mentioned he had an interview with him earlier that day. He said he would never forget the big hug he received from Elder Page after the interview. Elder Page had completed nine weeks of his missionary service.”

“Every Church member is deeply saddened and grieves at the death of a missionary,” said Ruth Todd, spokeswoman for the Church. “We unite our prayers and love in behalf of their families, friends, and missionary companions.”

According to the Church, these are the 11th (Elder Kunz) and 12th (Elder Page) missionaries to die this year.