BYU Devotional Schedule Includes 5 General Authorities, Political Experts
Contributed By Marianne Holman Prescott, Church News contributor
- Tuesday morning BYU campus devotionals inspire students and faculty.
- Church members around the world can watch a live broadcast on BYUtv for most devotionals.
Each semester, students and faculty at Brigham Young University gather in the Marriott Center on Tuesday mornings at 11:05 a.m. to hear from a speaker—experts from inside and outside of BYU—during the weekly campus devotionals.
Over the years, many well-known politicians, authors, Church leaders, faculty members, and experts in a variety of fields have stood at the podium to inspire and uplift the student body. Not only do students benefit from the weekly meeting, Church members around the world are able to tune in via a live broadcast from BYUtv for most of the meetings.
This semester’s lineup includes five General Authorities—including Apostles Elder M. Russell Ballard and Elder D. Todd Christofferson—and three campus forums given by senior research fellow at the University of Oxford Michael Ward; American political operative and political analyst David Axelrod; and senior fellow for global health at the Council on Foreign Relations Laurie Garrett.
BYU President Kevin J Worthen and his wife, Sister Peggy Worthen, will offer the first address on September 12.
- September 12: President Kevin J and Sister Peggy Worthen (devotional)
- September 19: Elder Richard J. Maynes, Presidency of the Seventy
- September 26: Michael Ward, senior research fellow, University of Oxford (forum)
- October 3: Homecoming Opening Ceremonies
- October 10: Elder Carl B. Cook, General Authority Seventy (devotional)
- October 17: Carolyn Billings, director of sports medicine, BYU athletics (devotional)
- October 24: Performance assembly
- October 31: David Axelrod, American political operative and political analyst (forum)
- November 7: Elder Wilford W. Andersen, General Authority Seventy (devotional)
- November 14: Elder M. Russell Ballard, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles (devotional)
- November 28: Laurie Garrett, senior fellow for Global Health, Council on Foreign Relations (forum)
- December 5: Brother Brian K. Ashton, Sunday School General Presidency (devotional)
- December 12: Elder D. Todd Christofferson, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles (devotional)
BYU students sing an opening song at a BYU devotional where President Thomas S. Monson was the speaker. Photo by Stuart Johnson.