BYU–Idaho Enrollment Increases 4 Percent
Contributed By From the Church News
- Enrollment at Brigham Young University–Idaho increased approximately 4 percent over last winter.
- Enrollment numbers were lower than projected, partly due to the lowered age eligibility for missionaries.
- The university is seeing growth in the number of students enrolled in online courses and programs.
Statistics released for winter semester 2013 at Brigham Young University–Idaho show a total local enrollment of 16,354 students, an increase of approximately 4 percent over last winter.
This number refers to students who take BYU–Idaho courses and predominately reside in the Rexburg area.
Of the total local enrollment of 16,354 students, 96.2 percent live in Rexburg, with the remaining 3.8 percent residing in locations from Idaho Falls to Ashton.
Student enrollment numbers for winter semester 2013 were down from earlier projections—possibly due to the lowered service age eligibility for missionaries that is expected to impact enrollment numbers through the middle of 2014.
The university continues to see growth in the number of students enrolled in online courses and programs. These students reside across the United States and in several other countries. The number of online students for winter semester 2013 is 6,785, compared to 2,493 in winter semester 2012.
This semester the local student body consists of 7,566 male students and 8,788 female students. The number of married students is 3,937.