Church Offers Online Support for 2013 Children, Youth, and Adult Curriculum
Contributed By By Heather Whittle Wrigley, Church News and Events
In 2013, children will begin new courses of study in Primary; youth will be introduced to new curriculum in Aaronic Priesthood and Young Women classes, as well as in Sunday School; and adults will move on to new subjects in Melchizedek Priesthood, Relief Society, and Sunday School.
On LDS.org, individuals can find many materials to support them in their gospel studies during 2013. (Many of these resources are also available at store.lds.org.)
Melchizedek Priesthood and Relief Society
During first Sundays, elders quorum, high priests group, and Relief Society leaders determine the topic to be taught in Melchizedek Priesthood and Relief Society classes. Below are possible resources to work with:
- Handbook 2: Administering the Church
- Church magazines
- Daughters in My Kingdom: The History and Work of Relief Society—view a PDF or visit the website, where you can find personal anecdotes, videos, and more.
- Priesthood and Auxiliary Leaders’ Guidebook
- Worldwide Leadership Training materials
- Family Guidebook
During second and third Sundays in 2013, adults will study from Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Lorenzo Snow.
- The book is available online now at lds.org/manual, under “Melchizedek Priesthood” and “Relief Society.”
- A PDF of the book is online now.
- Individuals may find the Presidents of the Church DVD to be helpful.This set of DVDs contains a documentary, a testimony, and a photo gallery for each President of the Church through Gordon B. Hinckley.
- If this book is not available, individuals may use Duties and Blessings of the Priesthood, Part A or The Latter-day Saint Woman, Part A.
During the fourth Sunday of each month in 2013, Melchizedek Priesthood and Relief Society classes will study talks from the most recent general conference, the First Presidency Message, or the Visiting Teaching Message.
- LDS.org has talks from the most recent general conference in nearly 100 languages.
- Audio and text of the conference issue of the Ensign is also available online.
- The conference issue of the Liahona may be downloaded in 28 languages.
- If these magazines are not available, the First Presidency Messages
- Visiting Teaching Messages may be used.
Aaronic Priesthood and Young Women
New in 2013, Aaronic Priesthood and Young Women classes will study from the recently revised youth curriculum:
- Come, Follow Me: Learning Resources for Youth is available online at lds.org/youth/learn in 23 languages. Printed copies will be provided as determined by area leaders.
Those without access to Come, Follow Me have many other options to teach from:
- Church magazines
- Fulfilling My Duty to God: For Aaronic Priesthood Holders—see the website, or view a PDF, videos, and Q&A.
- Young Women Personal Progress—do it online, see a list of frequently asked questions, or order the booklet through store.lds.org.
- For the Strength of Youth—see a PDF or explore the standards—complete with video, personal testimonies, and related articles—on lds.org/youth/for-the-strength-of-youth.
- True to the Faith
- Preach My Gospel
- The Strength of Youth Media 2013 DVD will be distributed to each unit of the Church in December 2012. The videos will also be available on the Mormon Channel YouTube page in 11 languages. English, Portuguese, and Spanish versions of the videos will be posted on youth.lds.orgby December 1.
- Additional resources, such as messages and ideas on how to teach the Mutual theme to the youth, will be available on LDS.org and in the New Era and Liahona magazines at the beginning of 2013.
In 2013, some of the Primary courses of study will change, while others will remain the same:
- Ages 18 months–2 years will study from Behold Your Little Ones: Nursery Manual.
- Ages 3–11 will follow the new-for-2013 Outline for Sharing Time: I Am a Child of God, which will be available at lds.org/manual/primary shortly.
- The Sunbeam class (age 3) will study from Primary 1: I Am a Child of God.
- Ages 4–7 will study from Primary 3: Choose the Right B.
- Ages 8–11 will study from Primary 5: Doctrine and Covenants and Church History. If this manual is not available, teachers will use Primary 7: New Testament.
There are several other resources Primary teachers, leaders, and class members may find helpful:
- Children’s Songbook
- Faith in God for Girls
- Faith in God for Boys
- The Gospel Art Book contains images from books of scripture, as well as from Church history and the lives of the prophets.
- Colorfully illustrated scripture stories are available in printed formatand also online in PDF format (Doctrine and Covenants Stories, Book of Mormon Stories, Old Testament Stories, and New Testament Stories).Media-enriched video versions of the illustrated scriptures books are available on LDS.org at scripturestories.lds.org or on DVD.
- A Scripture Stories weekly radio series on mormonchannel.org is designed to inspire children to come to know and love stories from the scriptures. Each episode features children sharing their insights and favorite experiences from the scriptures, along with music and readings of the best stories from the scriptures.
In addition to studying Come, Follow Me: Learning Resources for Youth in Aaronic Priesthood and Young Women classes, youth will study it in Sunday School in 2013. Printed copies of the curriculum will be provided as determined by area leaders.
- Read a news article about the new youth curriculum.
- See the First Presidency announcement.
- View a list of frequently asked questions.
Adults’ Sunday School focus for 2013 will be the Doctrine and Covenants and Church history:
- Doctrine and Covenants and Church History Gospel Doctrine manuals are available online for the teacher as well as the Class Member Study Guide. They are also available in printed format.
- The Doctrine and Covenants is available in audio format onCD. Or you can listen to the audio online at scriptures.lds.org. When in a chapter online, just click “Listen” in the right margin.
- The Doctrine and Covenants Visual Resource DVDs (set of four) includes more than 300 visual resources, including videos, art, charts, quotes, and study activities. The set contains five movies, as well as Doctrine and Covenants Stories (see above). It is for use in the home and in Church classrooms. The set is also available online.
- The seminary Doctrine and Covenants Student Study Guide can be a helpful resource and is available to download, read online, or purchase.
- Our Heritage
- Investigators, new members, and members returning to activity may study from Gospel Principles (if not available, use Gospel Fundamentals).
To learn about the other curriculum materials to be used next year, see the Instructions for Curriculum 2013.
- Scriptures.lds.org: Read the text or listen to the audio scriptures. Click on footnotes and references to jump directly to the referenced scripture. There are also personalized study tools that let you take notes, highlight verses, and save personal notes. Those notes are then available to you whether you read the scriptures online or on a mobile device. (See mobile.lds.org.)
- Printed scriptures are available for purchase in a variety of covers, colors, and sizes.