President Monson Has Traveled the World
From the Church News
Since becoming the Church’s 16th President on February 3, 2008, President Thomas S. Monson has traveled to many places in the world, addressing members, meeting with government leaders, and dedicating temples.
Following is a list of his major travels during the past five years.
• February 10, for dedication of Rexburg Idaho Temple.
• May 24–25, to Canada for May 25 Canada stake conference for 47 stakes and five districts broadcast from Brampton Ontario Stake Center.
• May 29–June 3, to Brazil for May 31 missionary meeting in Portao Chapel with 185 missionaries in Brazil Curitiba Mission; May 31 youth cultural celebration for Curitiba Brazil Temple; June 1 dedication of Curitiba Brazil Temple; June 2 meeting with vice president of Brazil José Alencar Gomes da Silva in Brasilia, Brazil; and June 2 member meeting with more than 7,000 in Brasilia.
• August 9–11, to Panama City, Panama, for August 9 youth cultural celebration for Panama City Panama Temple; August 10 dedication of Panama City Panama Temple; August 11 meeting with president of Panama Martin Torrijos and his wife, Vivian Fernandez de Torrijos; and August 11 meeting with all missionaries of Panama Panama City Mission.
• August 23–24, to Twin Falls, Idaho, for August 23 youth cultural celebration for Twin Falls Idaho Temple and August 24 dedication of Twin Falls Idaho Temple.
• November 15–16, to Mexico City, Mexico, for November 15 youth cultural celebration in Azteca Stadium for rededication of Mexico City Mexico Temple and November 16 rededication of Mexico City Mexico Temple.
• March 20–22, to Draper, Utah, for dedication of Draper Utah Temple on March 20, 21, and 22.
• May 1, to Orem, Utah, to speak in commencement of Utah Valley University and receive an honorary doctorate.
• May 1–2, to Cedar City, Utah, to speak in May 2 commencement of Southern Utah University and receive an honorary doctorate.
• June 29–30, to Colorado for June 29 concert by Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square at Red Rocks Amphitheater, near Morrison, including VIP reception where he gave remarks prior to concert.
• July 19–20, Washington, D.C., for July 20 meeting with President Barack Obama at the White House to present his genealogy to him, with Elder Dallin Oaks.
• August 21–23, to South Jordan, Utah, for dedication of Oquirrh Mountain Utah Temple August 21, 22, and 23.
• October 9–11, for October 9 visit to Nauvoo, Illinois, including Nauvoo Illinois Temple and historic buildings, meetings with missionaries and temple workers, and program; October 10 visit to Kirtland, Ohio, including Kirtland Temple and other historic buildings and meetings with missionaries; and October 11 visit to Connecticut.
• April 22–23, to Ogden, Utah, to speak in April 23 commencement at Weber State University and receive honorary doctorate.
• May 1–2, to Vancouver, British Columbia, for May 1 youth cultural celebration and May 2 dedication of Vancouver British Columbia Temple.
• May 22–23, to Arizona, for May 22 youth cultural celebration held at Eastern Arizona College, and May 23 dedication of The Gila Valley Arizona Temple.
• June 9–16, Philippines and New Zealand, including June 12 youth cultural celebration at Cebu Coliseum and June 13 dedication of Cebu City Philippines Temple and June 15 visit to Hamilton New Zealand Temple and Church College of New Zealand.
• August 28–31, to Kyiv, Ukraine, for August 28 cultural celebration for Kyiv Ukraine Temple and August 29 dedication of Kyiv Ukraine Temple.
• October 20–25, to Rome, Italy, for October 23 groundbreaking for Rome Italy Temple.
• November 18–22, to Hawaii for November 20 youth cultural celebration and November 21 rededication of Laie Hawaii Temple.
• April 30–May 1, to Atlanta, Georgia, for April 30 youth cultural celebration and May 1 rededication of Atlanta Georgia Temple.
• May 6, to St. George, Utah, to speak in centennial commencement of Dixie State College of Utah and receive an honorary doctorate of humanities.
• June 24–28, to Canada for June 25 dedication of Thomas S. Monson Camp for Young Women and Families at Lakehurst, Ontario, Canada, near Peterborough; June 26 joint sacrament meeting of Etobicoke Ward and Churchville YSA Ward and visits with members; and June 27 visit to Toronto Ontario Temple and concert of Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square in Toronto, including VIP reception where he gave remarks prior to concert.
• October 30, to Ogden, Utah, for northern Utah stake conference for 74 stakes, broadcast from Dee Events Center.
• May 5–7, to Kansas City, Missouri, for May 5 youth cultural celebration and May 6 dedication of Kansas City Missouri Temple and visit with missionaries at Liberty Jail.
• October 11–22, to Germany for October 13 member meeting in Hamburg; October 14 member meeting in Berlin; October 15 dinner in Dresden; October 16 visit to Radebeul, Friedensburg, and Freiberg Germany Temple; October 20 member meeting in Munich; and October 21 member meeting in Frankfurt and visit to Frankfurt Germany Temple.
• October 29, to Calgary, Alberta, Canada, for dedication of Calgary Alberta Temple.
• November 17–19, to Boise, Idaho, for November 17 youth cultural celebration and November 18 dedication of Boise Idaho Temple.
• President Monson did not travel prior to February 3 anniversary.