Strength of Youth
- The text of the revised version of For the Strength of Youth is now available on youth.lds.org.
- Updates include the addition of current prophetic counsel, new sections, and thought-provoking questions.
The For the Strength of Youth pamphlet was updated in December 2011, and addresses issues and challenges youth face today that were not specifically addressed in the previous version of the booklet.
“The standards have not changed, but times have changed,” said Young Women general president Elaine S. Dalton, explaining the update. “For the Strength of Youth has been revised to address the issues youth face today—to teach them the doctrine behind the standards and the promised blessings of obedience.”
For the Strength of Youth was last updated in 2001. The revised pamphlet contains the addition of current prophetic counsel in areas such as the wise use of technology, virtuous thoughts, dating, the importance of gender roles, and preparation for the future.
Other changes of note include:
- Additional emphasis on following the guidance of the Spirit, keeping covenants, and being worthy to attend the temple
- A new standard entitled “Work and Self-Reliance” offering counsel on smart money management, frugality, industry, and becoming a contributor.
- The addition of emotional health to the section previously titled “Physical Health”—now called “Physical and Emotional Health”—encouraging youth to seek healthy solutions to problems.
- Increased clarity and emphasis on doctrine in each section
- The inclusion of questions to invite further pondering and discussion
Young Men general president David L. Beck emphasized the value of this resource for youth, parents, and leaders as they strive to live faithfully.
“It is our hope that these standards will be thoroughly studied in our homes and in Church classes, and that the principles taught in them will go down into the hearts of the youth of the Church,” he said.
If you have not yet read the new pamphlet then you can download the PDF version of For the Strength of Youth here.