Sixty-six sections of the Doctrine and Covenants were given in Kirtland, Hiram, Thompson, Amherst, and Orange, Ohio, from 1831 through 1837.
Left, top: The John Johnson home in Hiram, Ohio, was the site where 16 sections of the Doctrine and Covenants were revealed. Among them was section 76, which describes the telestial, terrestrial, and celestial kingdoms of heaven.
Left, center: Forty-six revelations were received in Kirtland, Ohio, more than any other location. The School of the Prophets met in this upstairs room of the Newell K. Whitney store. As result of the common use of tobacco at the time and in this room, the Lord revealed D&C 89.
Left, bottom: Several revelations revolve around the Kirtland Temple but the most powerful is found in D&C 110. On April 3, 1836, Jesus Christ appeared. Moses, Elias, and Elijah also appeared to commit their keys to the Prophet Joseph Smith.
Background: Local tradition identifies this site, two miles west of the Kirtland Temple, as the quarry from which the stones for the temple were taken. The quarry eventually filled with groundwater and became known as the square lake.