Becoming Perfect in Christ
Understanding the Savior's atoning love can free us from unrealistic expectations of perfection. Read the full article.
—Elder Gerrit W. Gong
The Atonement of Jesus Christ
- Our Savior’s Atonement allows us to learn, repent, and grow by our own experiences and choices.
- Understanding His atoning love gives us assurance that through Him we can be saved (see John 3:17).
- We need both time and process for growth (see Moses 7:21).
Our Perfect Example
- Only our Savior lived a perfect life. Even He learned and grew in mortality (see D&C 93:13).
- Jesus Christ commands us to be perfect (see Matthew 5:48).
- We are to perfect ourselves in Jesus Christ’s and Heavenly Father’s attributes (see Matthew 5:48, footnote b).
- Unrealistic expectations to be perfect now can crowd out peace and joy.
- We can be exactly obedient without being perfect.
- The wait for a perfect spouse, education, job, or house will be long and lonely.