Skip main navigation
Becoming Perfect in Christ
Understanding the Savior's atoning love can free us from unrealistic expectations of perfection. Read the full article.
—Elder Gerrit W. Gong
The Atonement of Jesus Christ
- Our Savior’s Atonement allows us to learn, repent, and grow by our own experiences and choices.
- Understanding His atoning love gives us assurance that through Him we can be saved (see John 3:17).
- We need both time and process for growth (see Moses 7:21).
Our Perfect Example
- Only our Savior lived a perfect life. Even He learned and grew in mortality (see D&C 93:13).
- Jesus Christ commands us to be perfect (see Matthew 5:48).
- We are to perfect ourselves in Jesus Christ’s and Heavenly Father’s attributes (see Matthew 5:48, footnote b).
- Unrealistic expectations to be perfect now can crowd out peace and joy.
- We can be exactly obedient without being perfect.
- The wait for a perfect spouse, education, job, or house will be long and lonely.