Guardians of Virtue
- The greatest guardians of all virtues are marriage and family.
- Male and female are created for what they can do and become—together.
- You will encounter increasing debate about the definition of marriage.
- You can strengthen the Lord’s side of the argument by the eloquence of your examples as individuals and as families.
- Life will not be comfortable for true disciples, but we will have the Lord’s approval.
No Part-Time Disciples
- There is no such thing as a part-time disciple.
- Be courageous and proclaim God’s truth with clarity and kindness.
- Disciples of the Lord are defenders of traditional marriage. We cannot yield.
- The future of marriage and countless human lives will be determined by your willingness to bear solemn witness of the Lord and live according to His gospel.
- At the heart of becoming disciples is doing what we promise to do when we partake of the sacrament (from Sister Sheri Dew).
Proclaim the Will of God
- As disciples we bear responsibility to proclaim the will of God to all.
- We stand up for the truth regarding the sacred nature of marriage.
- Our message is shaped by divine doctrine from the Bible (Genesis 1:1, 27−28; 2:24; 3:20; Moses 4:26).
- Marriage was created by God as the union of a man and a woman.
- True intimacy as planned by God is experienced only within the sacred union of a husband and wife.
- True intimacy is enriched by truth and ennobled by the honoring of covenants a husband and a wife make with each other and with God.
- Social and political pressures to change marriage have resulted in practices contrary to God’s will.
- Man cannot make moral what God declares to be immoral.
- Sin, even if legalized by man, is still sin in the eyes of God.
- We value rights and feelings of our brothers and sisters, but we cannot change doctrine.
Love Means Obedience
- If we love God, we will show it by keeping His commandments.
- The noblest yearning of the heart is for marriage that will endure beyond death.
- As disciples of the Lord, you will stand as defenders of marriage.
- If you are true and faithful He will help and protect you (D&C 84:88) and will bless your families (Isaiah 49:25; D&C 98:37).
- Because of the Lord Jesus Christ you may enjoy the blessing of eternal life with Him and your families.
Marriage Is Ordained of God
- “The Family: A Proclamation to the World,” Ensign, Nov. 2010, 129.
- Neil L. Andersen, “Spiritual Whirlwinds,” Ensign, May 2014, 18.
- President Russell M. Nelson teaches us that marriage and families can endure forever.