Remember the Restoration
- On May 15, 1829, John the Baptist appeared to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery and conferred the Aaronic Priesthood upon them (see D&C 13:1).
- Men are called to the priesthood by inspiration and authority. There’s a direct line of inspiration from the Lord to those who are called to exercise the priesthood.
- This is the way the Lord governs His Church and is the way He called the Prophet Joseph Smith.
Be Worthy of the Priesthood
- We must be worthy and faithful to receive the priesthood and carefully read Doctrine and Covenants 84 (the oath and covenant of the priesthood).
- The Aaronic Priesthood is received by covenant and helps prepare young men to receive the Melchizedek Priesthood, which is received by oath and covenant.
Reach Out in Service
The priesthood is a great brotherhood—probably the greatest brotherhood on earth.
- It is also a service organization where we give of ourselves to help others.
- Men belong to quorums, which are vital.
- Quorums have the duty “to warn, expound, exhort, and teach, and invite all to come unto Christ” (D&C 20:59).
- Service in a quorum is essential to our development here on earth.
- Bishops hold priesthood keys to preside over their ward and are the president of the ward’s priests quorum.
- The keys belonging to the Aaronic Priesthood remind us that we should always be grateful for restored priesthood, with its power, authority, and responsibilities (see D&C 107:20).
- I challenge young men to honor their priesthood and to prepare to advance for each office to prepare for the Melchizedek Priesthood, serving missions, and eventually marrying in the Lord’s holy temple.
- This is the Savior’s Church. He directs it through the priesthood He delegates to men on earth so they can act as His agents leading His Church and performing sacred ordinances.
- Jeffrey R. Holland, “Our Most Distinguishing Feature,” Ensign, May 2005, 43
- Thomas S. Monson, “Our Sacred Priesthood Trust,” Ensign, May 2006, 54
- Young priesthood bearers organize and enjoy a service project.