Fresh Vegetable Sticks
Here are some important things to remember when you cook:
1. Make a shopping list to be sure everything you need for each recipe is on hand.
2. Practice making one recipe each week so that by the end of the month you will be able to prepare the whole menu for a family meal.
3. Prepare food ahead of time as much as possible so there isn’t a rush just before dinner:
Snowy Dip should be made and refrigerated several hours before using.
Meatballs can be mixed and shaped early and then refrigerated until time to drop them into hot tomato sauce.
Delightful Trifle is best when made and chilled an hour or two before serving.
4. Remember your kitchen manners:
Check with your mother about the best time for you to use the kitchen, and discuss all your plans with her.
Leave the kitchen spotless so you’ll be welcome to use it again.
4 cups tomato juice
dried onion flakes
1 bouillon cube (chicken or beef)
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon flour
1. In large saucepan, combine and heat tomato juice, 1 tablespoon dried onion, bouillon cube, and sugar.
2. In large mixing bowl, combine ground beef, rice, 1 teaspoon dried onion, salt, and flour.
3. Shape meat mixture into balls the size of walnuts. (Wet your hands to keep meat from sticking.) Drop into hot tomato sauce.
4. Cover pan and simmer for 45 minutes. Serve hot.
3-oz. package raspberry gelatin
4 cream-filled sponge fingers
1/4 cup strawberry or raspberry jam
2 cups vanilla pudding
2 cups fresh fruit (bananas, strawberries, pineapple, peaches, oranges, etc.)
1 cup heavy cream, whipped and sweetened, or 2-oz. package whipped dessert topping
1/2 cup nuts
1. In small saucepan, bring 1 cup water to boil.
2. Remove from heat and dissolve gelatin.
3. Stir in 3/4 cup cold water.
4. Pour into 8-inch square pan. Chill for several hours or overnight until very firm. Cut into 1/2-inch squares.
5. Split cream-filled sponge fingers lengthwise.
6. Spread cut sides with jam.
7. Arrange jam-side up in single layer on bottom of 2-quart glass bowl.
8. Spoon 1 cup of pudding over top.
9. Arrange alternate layers of fresh fruit, then pudding and gelatin squares.
10. Top with whipped cream and nuts.
8-oz. package cream cheese
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon onion salt
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon monosodium glutamate
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
Carrot sticks or slices of celery, cucumber, green pepper, cherry tomatoes, or cauliflowerets.
1. Set out cream cheese to soften for one to two hours.
2. Blend cheese, mayonnaise, and buttermilk with electric mixer or blender.
3. Stir in thoroughly onion salt, monosodium glutamate, and pepper.
4. Spoon into jar. Cover and chill. Serve with fresh vegetables. (This is also delicious on baked potatoes or salads.)