Pioneer Supper Menu
Chipped Beef Gravy on Baked Potatoes Buttered Green Beans Grandma’s Lettuce Salad Applesauce Gingerbread Milk
Tips for Young Cooks
1. Make sure you have all ingredients for your recipes on hand.
2. To protect yourself against burns follow these simple rules:
Always use a pot holder when touching a hot pan.
Use two pot holders when taking a hot dish or cookie sheet from the oven, or pulling out a rack.
Use a long wooden or metal spoon with a wooden handle for stirring hot mixtures on the stove.
Turn the handle inward if you leave a pan of hot food on the stove.
When lifting the lid off a hot pan on the stove, lift the lid away from you to avoid a steam burn.
Buttered Green Beans
Open a 16-oz. can of green beans. Warm, season, add butter to taste, and serve.
Scrub medium-sized potatoes until clean and pat dry with paper towel. Wrap each potato in a piece of aluminum foil and bake at 350º for 1 1/2 hours.
Grandma’s Lettuce Salad
1 head lettuce
1 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Wash lettuce, drain well, and pat dry with paper towel. Cut into small pieces and arrange in bowl.
2. Whip cream until stiff and carefully blend in vinegar, sugar, and salt. Serve over lettuce.
2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/3 cup sugar
1 cup dark molasses
3/4 cup hot water
1/2 cup shortening
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
16-oz. can applesauce
1. Preheat oven to 350º
2. Butter 9″ x 9″ x 2″ baking pan and sprinkle lightly with flour.
3. Measure all ingredients except applesauce into large mixing bowl.
4. Blend with mixer on low speed for 30 seconds and then turn on medium speed for about 3 minutes, or beat by hand, stopping to scrape sides of bowl occasionally.
5. Pour into prepared baking pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. (May be baked in oven with potatoes.)
6. Open applesauce. Top warm gingerbread with applesauce and a sprinkling of cinnamon.
Chipped Beef Gravy
4 oz. dried beef
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
1. Put dried beef into strainer, rinse with hot water, and cut into small pieces.
2. In skillet melt butter or margarine over medium heat and then blend in flour and let bubble.
3. Remove pan from heat and gradually stir in milk. Blend well and return to heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick and smooth.
4. Add dried beef and keep over very low heat until ready to serve.