Crisp Celery Sticks
Tahitian Fruit Cup
Wherever food is being prepared it is important to learn habits of cleanliness, and these six reminders will help you:
1. Wash your hands with soap and water before preparing any foods.
2. Keep your hair tidy and away from the food you are preparing.
3. Wear an apron when cooking.
4. Pour from a stirring spoon into a separate spoon when tasting your cooking.
5. Use a spoon, fork, or tongs rather than fingers to handle food whenever possible.
6. Clean up your work area after preparing each dish and return supplies and utensils to their proper places.
7-ounce can chunk-style tuna fish
1 cup finely diced celery
10 1/2-ounce can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup cashews
3-ounce can chow mein noodles
1 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 325º.
2. Open can of tuna fish and drain off oil by pressing top down over meat. Put fish in 1 1/2-quart casserole bowl.
3. Add diced celery, mushroom soup, milk, and cashews. Mix well with spoon. Then stir in all but 1/4 cup chow mein noodles.
4. Sprinkle the remaining noodles on top and bake for 40 minutes.
(Note: This casserole can be prepared early in the day and kept in refrigerator until time to bake.)
Clean celery, cut into 4″ pieces, then cut lengthwise into two or three strips. Sprinkle a little paprika onto a piece of waxed paper and dip ends of celery sticks into paprika for added color. Lay carefully in relish dish, cover with waxed paper, and set into refrigerator to crispen until serving time.
20-ounce can pineapple chunks
11-ounce can mandarin oranges
1 or 2 bananas
1 cup shredded coconut
1. Early in the day put pineapple and mandarin oranges into refrigerator to chill.
2. An hour before dinner, open can of pineapple and empty contents into bowl. Open can of mandarin oranges, drain juice into sink, and add orange sections to pineapple.
3. Peel and cut bananas like little wheels into bowl of fruit. Stir carefully until all banana pieces have been covered with juice so they won’t turn dark.
4. Sprinkle coconut over top and serve in small dishes.
1/4 cup (1/2 square) butter or margarine
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
8-ounce can refrigerated biscuits
1. Preheat oven to 450º.
2. Place butter or margarine in 8-inch round layer cake pan or pie plate and melt in oven.
3. Remove from oven and mix brown sugar into melted butter with a fork.
4. Open biscuits, separate, and lay evenly over butter and brown sugar mixture.
5. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Using hot pads, remove from oven and turn pan upside down onto serving dish, letting butterscotch mixture spread over biscuits. Serve hot.