1. You will need: 2 ounces each of 4-ply yarn in red, white, and blue, 1 pair knitting needles, size 6.
2. Cast on 30 stitches. Knit blue yarn in garter stitch for 26 rows (18 ridges). Break off and tie on white yarn. Repeat garter stitch for 26 rows. Break off and tie on blue and repeat 26 rows. Break off and tie on white yarn. Repeat 26 rows. Break off and tie on red yarn. Knit 24 rows (14 ridges) and bind off.
3. Turn inside out and sew seams together, leaving red portions free for flap.
4. Make lining from white material (15″ x 8″) folded in half. Sew side seams and insert in purse. Turn under top edge and hem in place with binding stitch.
5. Handle is made by braiding three strands of each color yarn 24″ long or longer if desired. Tie one end 1″ from end, braid in long braid, and tie knot 1″ from other end. Stitch handle to purse on each side.