Submarine Sandwiches Homemade Corn Chips Oranges Brownie Milk
Tips for Young Cooks
Day before Picnic
1. Make corn chips and store in uncovered container so they will stay crisp.
2. Make chocolate syrup and store in covered jar in refrigerator.
3. Put oranges into refrigerator to chill.
Day of Picnic
1. Remove butter or margarine for spreading on sandwiches from refrigerator to soften at room temperature.
2. Gather in one place all items needed for picnic: thermos, paper napkins, lunch basket or lunch box or paper sacks, plastic bags, waxed paper, paper cups, paper plates, etc.
3. Pack corn chips in individual plastic bags.
4. Two hours before time to leave for picnic, make submarine sandwiches, wrap airtight, and store in refrigerator.
5. Make brownie milk, pour into thermos, and screw cap on tightly.
6. When nearly time to leave, pack sandwiches, corn chips, oranges, and brownie milk into lunch carrier.
Homemade Corn Chips
1 cup water
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1. Wash hands.
2. Grease large cookie sheet and set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 350°
4. Into medium-size saucepan measure water, butter, and salt. Cook over medium heat until water boils then turn off heat.
5. Add cornmeal and stir with wooden spoon until mixture is smooth and thick.
6. Pour mixture onto cookie sheet and spread evenly with spoon. With palm of hand flatten cornmeal mixture as thin as possible over entire cookie sheet. Bake at 350° for 15 to 20 minutes or until browned.
7. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar or garlic or onion or barbecue salt. When cool, loosen from cookie sheet with spatula or table knife and break into pieces.
5 hogie buns
10 slices lunch meat
5 slices swiss cheese
2 large tomatoes
3 dill pickles
5 lettuce leaves
1. Split buns open and spread with butter or mayonnaise.
2. Place two slices of lunch meat, slice of swiss cheese, tomato slice, pickle slices, and lettuce leaves between the two bun halves.
3. Wrap each sandwich carefully in plastic wrap. Store in refrigerator until ready to leave for picnic.
1/3 cup cocoa
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Into a medium-size saucepan, measure cocoa and sugar and mix thoroughly. Add water and stir.
2. Cook over medium heat until mixture boils. Turn heat down to low and cook for 5 minutes longer. Turn off heat, stir in vanilla, and cool.
3. Pour cooled syrup into jar, cover, and put into refrigerator.
4. When ready to make brownie milk, stir in 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup for each serving.