03829_000_013A Camera Tour of Church History Sites in Illinois and on the Trail West
In the third and final part of this photographic essay on Church-related historical sites, we look at samples of the fine Nauvoo, Illinois, dwellings and buildings—many of which have been restored—that the persecuted Saints left behind as they set out across the seemingly endless plains to seek refuge in the valley of the Great Salt Lake. Photographs are by Eldon Linschoten and Jed Clark.
The Nauvoo Illinois visitor’s center with the garden of statues honoring the Relief Society, dedicated in the summer of 1978. President Ezra Taft Benson of the Quorum of the Twelve created the thousandth stake in the Church at Nauvoo on 18 February 1979.
Reconstructed Seventies Hall, Nauvoo. Built between 1843 and 1844, it was used for lectures, classes, and worship services.
Carthage Jail where Joseph and Hyrum Smith were killed on 27 June 1844.
Front view of Wilford Woodruff’s Nauvoo home.
Smith family cemetery with stones marking the original sites of Joseph and Emma Smith’s graves. Also interred here were the Prophet’s parents, Lucy Mack Smith and Joseph, Sr.; his brothers Hyrum, Don Carlos, and Samuel; two of his infant sons; and some family friends.
Emigrant Gap looking west. One of several “Emigrant Gaps” along the western trail, this one is near Devil’s Gate, Wyoming. Every westering Latter-day Saint passed through it.