1. A poor, wayfaring Man of griefHath often crossed me on my way,Who sued so humbly for reliefThat I could never answer nay.I had not pow'r to ask his name,Whereto he went, or whence he came;Yet there was something in his eyeThat won my love; I knew not why.
2. Once, when my scanty meal was spread,He entered; not a word he spake,Just perishing for want of bread.I gave him all; he blessed it, brake,And ate, but gave me part again.Mine was an angel's portion then,For while I fed with eager haste,The crust was manna to my taste.
3. I spied him where a fountain burstClear from the rock; his strength was gone.The heedless water mocked his thirst;He heard it, saw it hurrying on.I ran and raised the suff'rer up;Thrice from the stream he drained my cup,Dipped and returned it running o'er;I drank and never thirsted more.
4. 'Twas night; the floods were out; it blewA winter hurricane aloof.I heard his voice abroad and flewTo bid him welcome to my roof.I warmed and clothed and cheered my guestAnd laid him on my couch to rest,Then made the earth my bed and seemedIn Eden's garden while I dreamed.
5. Stript, wounded, beaten nigh to death,I found him by the highway side.I roused his pulse, brought back his breath,Revived his spirit, and suppliedWine, oil, refreshment--he was healed.I had myself a wound concealed,But from that hour forgot the smart,And peace bound up my broken heart.
6. In pris'n I saw him next, condemnedTo meet a traitor's doom at morn.The tide of lying tongues I stemmed,And honored him 'mid shame and scorn.My friendship's utmost zeal to try,He asked if I for him would die.The flesh was weak; my blood ran chill,But my free spirit cried, "I will!"
7. Then in a moment to my viewThe stranger started from disguise.The tokens in his hands I knew;The Savior stood before mine eyes.He spake, and my poor name he named,"Of me thou hast not been ashamed.These deeds shall thy memorial be;Fear not, thou didst them unto me."
Text: James Montgomery, 1771-1854Music: George Coles, 1792-1858, alt.Hymn sung prior to the martyrdom of the Prophet Joseph Smith. See History of the Church, 6:614-15.
- Hymn Number
- George Coles, 1792-1858, alt.
- James Montgomery, 1771-1854
- Matthew 25:31-40, Mosiah 2:17
- LMD (Long Meter Doubled)
- 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8
- Love, Parables, Service
- Duane Street