1. Away in a manger, no crib for his bed,The little Lord Jesus laid down his sweet head;The stars in the heavens looked down where he lay,The little Lord Jesus, asleep on the hay.
2. The cattle are lowing; the poor baby wakes,But little Lord Jesus, no crying he makes.I love thee, Lord Jesus; look down from the skyAnd stay by my cradle till morning is nigh.
3. Be near me, Lord Jesus; I ask thee to stayClose by me forever, and love me, I pray.Bless all the dear children in thy tender care,And fit us for heaven to live with thee there.
Text: Anon., ca. 1883, PhiladelphiaMusic: William J. Kirkpatrick, 1838-1921; harmonized by Rosalee Elser,1925-2007. (c) 1980 Rosalee Elser.
- Hymn Number
- William J. Kirkpatrick, 1838-1921; harmonized by Rosalee Elser, 1925-2007
- Anon., ca. 1883, Philadelphia
- Luke 2:7, Luke 18:15-17
- 6 5 6 5 D
- 11 11 11 11
- Cradle Song