1. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord;He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored.He hath loosed the fateful lightning of his terrible, swift sword;His truth is marching on.
(Chorus)Glory, glory, hallelujah!Glory, glory, hallelujah!Glory, glory, hallelujah!His truth is marching on.
2. He has sounded forth the trumpet that shall never call retreat;He is sifting out the hearts of men before his judgment seat.Oh, be swift, my soul, to answer him; be jubilant my feet!Our God is marching on.
3. In the beauty of the lilies, Christ was born across the sea,With a glory in his bosom that transfigures you and me.As he died to make men holy, let us live to make men free,While God is marching on.
Text: Julia Ward Howe, 1819-1910Music: Anon., ca. 1861
- Hymn Number
- Anon., ca. 1861
- Julia Ward Howe, 1819-1910
- Alma 5:50, Doctrine and Covenants 65:1-6
- 15 15 15 6 8 8 8 6
- Courage, Jesus Christ - Example, Patriotism, Truth
- Battle Hymn